tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

When You And Your Highschool BFF Part Ways

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

High school is over, you and your best friends are finally in college. You’ve all dreamt of this moment from the very day you met. Each of you had your own goals and aspirations but also many plans for the thousands of things you wanted to do together once you started university. Unfortunately, not everything went the way you all planned it when you were 14 and 15 years old. You got accepted to different schools, decided on different career paths, and some even decided to take a break. Parting ways is hard and can somewhat feel like the end of the road for your friendship… but luckily, there is plenty you can do to maintain the relationship and even more ways to make a new one. 

Meet New People

– Now don’t get me wrong and assume I’m telling you to leave your pre-college friends in the past. But never let the fact that your best friend can’t be around keep you from making new ones. College is the perfect place to meet new people, try new things, and see new places. Find out about student organizations, events and things you’re interested in. Give people a chance and just remember to always update your friend about your new ventures at the end of the day. She’ll be sure to do the same!

Stay in Contact

In college you tend to get busy with all the things you have to get done while still trying to keep your sanity. With your best friend being away it can be a bit harder to get in contact at all times and that’s nothing to feel bad about. But be certain to set time aside to have special convos with your BFF and keep each other updated about your blossoming lives. This is the number one component to keeping the relationship alive. Although you guys will be forced to spend long periods of time apart, always having your favorite person to vent to is completely awesome.

Don’t Get Jealous!

– As time passes, you guys will start to spend more and more time with new people. This can sometimes cause your territorial side to arise and bring out a bit of jealousy. Seeing those happy posts of your best friend out partying can actually make you feel the complete opposite of happy… But as a true friend and a maturing female you have to learn that no matter how many new friends you guys make, you can never replace each other.

When It’s Time To Let Go

– Not every friendship is meant to survive the transition from high school to college. It can be depressing and quite life changing, but sometimes this is for the best. When one door closes another opens, and as we grow up we sometimes grow out of the people we thought we’d keep around forever. Whether it be a simple loss of contact or the mutual decision that the friendship is no longer working, remember that life goes on! You’ll make new ones. Stay open minded, strong and beautiful .

HCxo!

Journalist, Writer, Mother and Wife. Passionate about travel and alternative/indie music. English and Journalism graduate at Valdosta State University as of May 2017. Follow me on twitter: GenevaCrooks_ Add me on Facebook: Geneva Rena'
Her Campus at Valdosta State.