This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Call me crazy, but I think that just like the phase that kids experience in early adolescence, the terrible two’s are real thing for relationships, as well. I know you’re probably thinking “What?” but stay with me while I explain! I’m no parent, but when thinking logically about toddlers and the little experience that I have with them, they have one thing in common and that is that they are little explorers. During their phase of firsts, it seems that babies are almost fearless. No matter how many times they fall or cry or receive discipline, their little spirits are not broken and they will keep trying! So by the age of two, they have a few things figured out and have become little finesse-ers! After being in a relationship for two years or more, you may feel yourself in an uphill battle with your partner and it may even feel like it’s not even worth the trouble. At this point, your partner becomes a little finesse-er too because they have figured a few things about YOU within the first year of your relationship.

Why yes, Mary-Kate (or Ashley), they definitely do and here’s how:

*DISCLAIMER: If the following do not apply to your relationship, do NOT anticipate them happening!

They get comfortable! In fact, lazy might even be a better word (in some cases). It doesn’t mean that they don’t care, but the attention to detail plummets and the will to be creative lessens.

Every day is TRY-day! It is actually comical how the people we love go from walking on thin ice, trying not to offend, to trying your whole life on a daily basis. And the fact that they are clueless to this fact half the time makes it even worst

Much like small children, boyfriends and girlfriends are a special kind of annoying. The kind that is cute one second and intolerable the next.  

Even though they annoy you to no end, if you’re really in love and serious about the relationship that you’re in, there isn’t a day that goes by where you don’t think about how much you love them—even if it is followed by a massive eye roll. Regardless of all of the foolishness that comes with knowing and growing with someone for years, remember why you’re dating and hold onto the relationship. The terrible two’s are a stage that most couples have to weather to make it to even better years. 

Each relationship is different, but they all require a lot of attention and care. Eventually the parts about your significant other that seem to be working your very last nerve won’t bother you as much. You will know it’s worth sticking it out when you can’t imagine not sticking it out. You will be able to see a glimmer beyond the year that has consumed all of your patience. And although you may want to throw hands, you won’t actually do it. Next time you think of losing your wits, refer back to the time you read this article and think “Okay, my relationship is like a little kid, it will get more mature (probably)!” 

HCXO!

Nia Lewis

Valdosta

My name is Nia which means purpose in Swahili and I am currently finding it and trying to live up to it. I'm a senior at Valdosta State University, my major is Communication Disorders--translation: I am an aspiring Speech-Language Pathologist. Nothing makes me happier than the people I love, affection, a good book, a blank journal, and the beach. I'm sure I left a few things off of the list, but you get the point.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.