Protect Your Hair: Top 6 Spring Break Hairstyles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

With spring break vastly approaching, there are many things that a girl has to cross off of her checklist: “Do I have the perfect bathing suit?”; “What about products like suntan lotion or makeup that will give me the perfect glow?”; “How many pairs of shoes do I need to bring?”

However, the one thing that a girl can’t forget is her hair! Whether permed, natural, straight, curly, long, short or anything in-between, the perfect hair can make any outfit (even a bathing suit) perfect. From experience, we all know the rush of getting ready to go to the beach or to a party, so simplicity yet style is what’s most important. With these things in mind, I have created a list of the top six hairstyles (in no particular order) any and every girl can achieve to have the best spring break thus far!

1. Beach waves

What’s better than being on the beach with a warm breeze flowing through loose curls? Beach wave curls are an easy hairstyle to achieve on short or medium-length hair.

How To? You can achieve this look with a curling wand like you see above,  but the easiest way I have found is actually without heat! On damp hair, twist all of your hair and place it in a fairly tight bun and let it dry. When your hair dries, take the bun down and separate your hair however you like! It’s simple, easy and a beautiful look for those days where you don’t have too much time to spend on your hair.

2. Crown Twist

One of my personal favorite hairstyles is the crown twist! Another simple and fast style to achieve, the crown twist will make any girl feel like a queen.

How To? The fastest way I have found to achieve this look is to separate your hair into two sections horizontally (from ear to ear). Start in the front from whichever side you please and begin a two-strand flat twist across the front your head. Continue to grab and twist your hair until it reaches the same place you started. Add bobby pins to connect your twist and create your crown! Want to make it even more beautiful and spring break ready? Add flowers to your hair — a naturally beautiful touch to an already beautiful style.

3. Braids

Everyone should be familiar with this sort of hairstyle and its many varieties. Whether you want two cornrows going down the sides of your head, a fishtail braid or even box braids, it allows you versatility yet simplicity and is perfect for any occasion..

4. Marley Twists

Another one of my favorite styles, being that I am natural and always looking for the next cutest protective style, is Marley Twists. Whether you want them chunky or small, curled or straight, they are a definite go-to for all natural-haired ladies that want to focus more on what they decide to wear than what their hair looks like! And with this style, your hair is guaranteed to look great.

5. Top Knot/Messy Bun

A look that can be achieved after every one of the previously mentioned hairstyles, top knots or messy buns are convenient and easy! Even after a day at the beach,  a simple messy bun or top knot can allow you to have a cute hairstyle but also not take away from the rest of your activities!

How To? Use your fingers as a comb (unless you’d prefer a comb/brush) and pull hair to top or middle of head and secure with a hair tie. For a messy bun, you can tease your hair and style however you want to add a little personality.

6. Twist/Braid Out

Last, but not least, are twist outs (or braid outs) for all of my naturalistas! Another simple and easy hairstyle, these twists or braid outs can last for days and can transition into a cute top knot or messy bun. 

How To? Separate your hair into sections, depending on how large or small you want your curls to be, and either flat twist, twist or braid your hair, making sure to keep those sections separated. Use any kind of products you would normally use, and don’t forget to condition and moisturize to protect your hair from UVA/UVB rays! Want extra curl? Add perm rods to the ends of your twists/braids!

With these hairstyles, your spring break will be filled with glam, memories and, of course, beautiful hair!

Valdosta State University senior, majoring in Public Relations with a minor in African-American studies.  Food connoisseur, beauty sleep expert, binge watching aficionado, and avid art consumer. 
President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Valdosta State, and a Mass Media major. Loves spaghetti and is currently waiting for someone to teach her how to play her guitar. Never meets a stranger. Hi :)