Life, Love & College: Turning Hardships Into Art

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Inevitably, every day we as young women are faced with many different challenges and hardships. Things can sometimes get overwhelming dealing with relationships, jobs, school, friends, family, etc. Although life can get tough, beauty can be seen in anything if you just try to look at it from a different angle!

Many celebrities and everyday girls, such as you and I, have found ways to turn their hardships into art. Famous Mexican artist Frida Kahlo created art from the corsets she had to wear to support her ruined spine after a streetcar accident. She successfully found a way to turn the thing in her life that was hurting her, into something beautiful. It was a way of expressing herself, and also something people around her could admire and enjoy.

Personally, when I’m going through big changes or feeling sad or frustrated, I turn to doing what I love the most… Writing. Not only is it a good way for me to put how I’m feeling on paper, but in other instances it also allows me to create something that I can later show to those around me.

The point I’m really trying to make is: things that seem horrible don’t always have to be just that. Although you may not have a resolution at that very moment, you should always try to make the most of your situation.

Like to sing? How about throwing on one of your favorite songs, and singing your heart out when you’re feeling down. Like to draw? How about appreciating some of that good weather, and sitting in the sun to let out some steam through sketch.

There are countless ways you can tap into your inner artist through your own personal experiences. And in my opinion, that makes what you’re doing even more admirable. Expressing yourself through art is a fun and unique way of dealing with life, and can make getting through those annoying times just a bit easier. HCxo!

Journalist, Writer, Mother and Wife. Passionate about travel and alternative/indie music. English and Journalism graduate at Valdosta State University as of May 2017. Follow me on twitter: GenevaCrooks_ Add me on Facebook: Geneva Rena'
Her Campus at Valdosta State.