Life, Love & College: Sometimes, Friendships Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Slumber parties, telling secrets, long phone calls, and laughing hysterically about nothing; oh, the perks of having a best friend! Every friendship has its own story. For some, it may have started back in second grade. It could have even started off bad with you two not liking each other over some petty drama. Whatever your story may be, it is beautiful.

Like natural magnetism, my best friend and I were inseparable. We were always up to no good, but in school we would push each other to be better. From cheering each other on during hard exams to planning weekend adventures, we were always there for each other.

As our senior year of high school came to a close, we realized that we were headed onto different paths. I was moving away from home to start college and she wanted to begin culinary school in our hometown. We made sure we planned how we would stay in touch by texting each other daily and visiting frequently so we would never grow distant. The day we both dreaded came, and in tears we said, “See you later.”

While in college we began growing into young adults, meeting new people and taking on the world. After a while, it was not the same anymore when we would see each other. Our phone conversations became awkward, we could never think of anything to do while we were both in town, and that usually resulted in us not even bothering to hang out.

My best friend and I eventually stopped talking to each other, and on top of that we disliked each other. The thought of her irked me! When she moved down to where I was going to school and I learned she was going to be one of my roommates, “Oh just perfect,” was my first thought. I instantly wanted to move elsewhere. Somehow, we ended up planing to drive back to school together.When my boyfriend dropped me off to meet her that day, I was dreading the whole thing. To my surprise, as soon as we pulled out of her driveway, endless conversation began.

Even though everything had been going great with her being my roommate, she made the decision to return home. This took us back to square one, planning how we would stay in touch while we were apart. As time went by, I started to realize more and more that we were just growing as people and our friendship had changed.

Accepting that my best friend and I were no longer best friends was one of the most challenging situations I have ever had to face. Although I know that we have grown apart, I always hope that one day we will go back to how we were in high school. Regardless of the fact that I have new best friends, no matter what, I will always care for my first best friend. 

Her Campus at Valdosta State.