A Letter to My High School Best Friends’ College Best Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

If you are reading this it’s because you have chosen to become friends with the best of the best, literally the cream of the crop, and by now you know that I am not exaggerating. I figure that since she has chosen to become friends you, you ain’t too shabby yourself.

I know that you are familiarizing yourself with the personality and not just person. It’s one thing to have their favorite food, movie, or day of the week memorized, but it’s another to know all the specific little details. Through becoming acquainted with the personality you will be able to form a scale of just how angry/sad/irritated they are on any given day-it can save a life, possibly yours, if you pay close attention. Besides reading her like the complicated, amazing book that she is, there are other responsibilities that come along with your friendship.

As far as encouragement is concerned, you are only obligated to make her feel as if she can succeed at any and every task assigned. Depending on your personality type, this could either seem like a tall task or a small one; regardless, this is what you signed up for (if you disagree with that statement then I disagree with your face!). Unfortunately, I can’t be notified of every upcoming test, game, or obstacle so you will just have to do for now (I’m only kidding…also I retract my statement about your face). Seriously, you are there for a reason; just remember to make my dear friend remember how significant a deep breath can be! We know that she is beauty, she is grace, and she [should be] Miss United States, but it never hurts to remind her.

Something about me has always attracted the most stubborn, humble people out there so I can guarantee that if you haven’t seen that side of my confidant, it’s a-brewing! Being a best friend is a hard job because no matter how tiring things get in our lives or theirs, we must be there. This means that they will make mistakes, ignore your perfect advice, or seemingly self-destruct with the company they keep.

Do not fret, my best friend’s best friend! I wish that I could give you some sort of prize, because let’s face it – times get hard out here, but your love and patience will be rewarded eventually. In all seriousness, thank you for being there in my absence and remaining true despite tough circumstances. It seems like a no-brainer for a friend to do things such as provide endless vent sessions, surprises, laughs, memories, and a bottomless pit of compliments. However, great friends don’t come around often and if anyone deserves that, our friend does! Welcome to the friendship team; because you found a friend in my friend, you automatically gained another in me. Quite frankly, I love you already.

Nia Lewis

Valdosta

My name is Nia which means purpose in Swahili and I am currently finding it and trying to live up to it. I'm a senior at Valdosta State University, my major is Communication Disorders--translation: I am an aspiring Speech-Language Pathologist. Nothing makes me happier than the people I love, affection, a good book, a blank journal, and the beach. I'm sure I left a few things off of the list, but you get the point.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.