The Everyday College Fashionista: Basic Business Attire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

You’re in college now and at some point, whether it’s for an interview, a meeting or attending an event, you’re going to need to dress in business attire. A professional look is important, but it doesn’t have to be boring; there’s nothing wrong with a pop of color and a print here and there! Although everyone’s idea of what’s business appropriate is different, you can never go wrong with the basics.

Blazer

It’s necessary for any wardrobe, but especially business. Whether you’re dressing for business casual or formal, it’s perfect for any event. Solids are the norm but there’s nothing wrong with a tweed or even a floral print.

Try these sites for some cute and affordable blazers:

LoveCulture.com

– Missguided.com

CharlotteRusse.com

– Forever21.com

Pencil Skirt

The pencil skirt is a classic! It’s form-fitting enough to make you feel feminine with a little sex appeal, while still balancing a professional look. Like the blazer, it’s a great piece to invest in for any occasion. With so many new hemline designs, it’s versatile in and outside the office. Jtomson.com has some affordable prices for college students on a budget. 

Bodysuits

What once was known as an undergarment is now the perfect trick to avoid fidgeting with your camisole. We have Kim K to thank for this trend. Besides being less maintenance, it’s great for a barely there look. There are some that even play as a corset and cinch the waist as well as lift your bust. It’s definitely worth the investment to have a bra, shape wear, and tank top all in one! Try Bodycentral.com for this look.

The Classic Pump

We all love a great stiletto but not all of them are appropriate for business attire. If you’re unsure, you can never go wrong with the classic pump. The fashion favorite now is the pointy toe.

However, it is business wear and maybe comfort is more important than style. In that case, a ballet flat is a great substitute!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.