8 Texts You Hate to Receive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Texting. One of the primary means of communication for our generation. While it can be great when you’re in a hilairious group message with your best friends during a dreadful class or swapping kissy-face emojis with your crush, we do sometimes receive those texts that don’t come with a smile. Here’s a list of texts that we all dread.

1. “I’m late…”

If not the most dreaded then it’s most definitely in the top fivethe pregnancy scare. This is the type of text to make your world stop spinning and heart shatter in pieces. This text is scary for the person receiving the text and sending it. Always make smart decisions to avoid getting yourself in this situation and experiencing moments such as this one.

2. “We need to talk.”

Those four words can have so many meanings. Either your new nickname is about to be Skip Bae-less or you’re in deep trouble. Whatever the case, this text gets your mind racing and leaves you in a panic. All you can do is hope that the conversation doesn’t end with, “It’s not you, it’s me.” We all know that really means… It was you. (Yikes!)

3. “K.”

K. The 11th letter of the alphabet, but can also be known as one of the most annoying texts to ever receive! Sometimes you deal with people who like to hit you with a “K” while you’re arguing, which makes you want to jump through the phone and wrap your fingers around their neck. Who knew a single letter could evoke so much anger?

“K” is also known as the ultimate conversation stopper. There’s nothing about that letter that makes the conversation appealing. Send me a “K” and I’ll respond with a “Bye.” *insert side eye emoji here*

4. “Are you free this weekend?”

Now, this text can go either of two ways: you say yes and risk being invited to something you don’t want to attend by a person you don’t want to hang with, or you say no and miss out on something really fun. Any way you spin it, it seems to be a lose-lose situation.

5. “Can I ask you a question?”

Didn’t you already do that? Now that you’ve scared me half to death, I’ve got to run through all the possible questions you could have to ask me. Is this a question I even want to answer?

6. “What are we?”

This could single-handedly be one of the most difficult questions to answer because you never know what to expect. This is the kind of question that makes your hands sweat profusely and heart race loudly. These three words can destroy or make a relationship.

You can get the answer that’ll bring butterflies to your stomach, or you could get the answer that really hurts your pride. Be sure to tread very lightly with this question.

7. “Hey stranger”

Ummm, hello? The phone works both ways. If you really wanted to talk to me, you would’ve reached out to me, and if I really wanted to talk to you, I would’ve. Some think this is a cute or funny way to start a convo with someone you haven’t spoken to in a while when in actuality, it just makes them want to roll their eyes. So please, don’t even bother.

8. “Wyd?” (At 1 in the morning)

It’s hard enough as it is to converse with a person who sends this text every time the conversation falls short, but to have to answer this question in the wee hours of the morning? Not happening. What do you think I’m doing at one in the morning? About to ride horses? If you thought it was coming over for a late night booty call, you better think again. GOOD NIGHT!

I'm Felicia Burnett! I am a sophomore at Valdosta State University. My major is Exercise Physiology but I have a deep passion for writing!
Her Campus at Valdosta State.