7 Ways to Prepare for a Job Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

The first factor of a successful interview is preparation! Here are a few pointers to help you out:

1.       Know some things about the company beforehand. Going to the company’s website and reading the “About Us” section can help with this. Incorporating what you already know about the company into the interview in some way can increase your chances of getting the job.

2.       Think of questions to ask your potential employer. This is a great opportunity to bond with the interviewer and show interest and enthusiasm.

3.       You should also anticipate some standard questions from the interviewer. You can simply Google “common interview questions” and tailor your answers to fit you. However, you should avoid sounding rehearsed.

4.       Appropriate interview attire is one of the most important factors in the entire interview process. Colors such as blues, browns, blacks and grays are safe. Stay away from loud colors and patterns. Also, avoid perfume, and apply very light, natural-looking makeup if needed. A simple blouse and a pair of slacks should suffice for most job interviews. Always wear closed-toed shoes, and avoid very high heels.

5.       Promptness is expected for every job, so be on time. Be a little early if possible, just to calm down and mentally prepare yourself. This is also a good time to get a feel for the atmosphere you will potentially be working in.

6.       Be polite to everyone you come in contact with while there. Be sure to make direct eye contact and SMILE! Speak clearly and audibly, as this shows confidence. While waiting on your interview to start, DO NOT pull out your cell phone! This shows boredom. Remember that non-verbal communication is just as important as verbal. Be aware of your body language.

7.       After the interview, shake the interviewer’s hand and thank them for their time. If they do not tell you when to expect a call back, ask.

Good luck on your journey to success ladies, and always remember to SMILE!

President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Valdosta State, and a Mass Media major. Loves spaghetti and is currently waiting for someone to teach her how to play her guitar. Never meets a stranger. Hi :)