5 Travel Hacks When You’re on a College Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWM chapter.

1. Expand your travel tribe

Save money on paying for gas and rooming costs by inviting more friends to go with. This way you will have more drivers and photo takers! Not everyone knows each other? Well, they will definitely get acquainted quick.

2. Research admission free tourism sites

There are so many amazing and beautiful places that are no cost at all! Before you leave, do some research on national parks or free festivals in the area. Finding the best hiking trails, beaches or even local coffee festivals will not only be fun but inexpensive.

3. Prepare your snacks and meals before

Remember when you and your family would go on long car rides and your parents would fill up that giant Coleman cooler with fruits, sandwiches, and Capri Suns? Ask them if they still have the cooler because you will be saving a lot  money by packing it full of snacks and water bottles. Gas station food and McDonalds receipts add up quick–be sure to have all of your favorite snacks and drinks packed with you.

4. Airbnb

If you are going on a trip and want to live like a local and take in the culture, staying at an Airbnb is the best way to go; it’s also cheaper than a hotel! With it becoming so popular, you can find an Airbnb almost anywhere from downtown areas to cabins by the lake, this is great way to save money and take in the area you are traveling to!

5. Chose one big ticket item

Maybe your favorite band is playing in the city you’re traveling to, or you really want to zip-line over the canyons. Make your trip worthwhile by investing in one big ticket item while you are there. No one has to know that you are living out of cooler when you are standing third row at a Mumford and Sons concert!

Hopefully these tips will help you save money on your future travels and experiences memorable. Now go out and see the world!

Just a midwestern girl with big dreams of traveling the world and being successful at what ever I put my heart and mind to. Fashion and politics are my areas of interest, but who doesn't love a good Bachelor in Paradise recap or cute puppy ranking?