10 Essentials To Always Have In Your Backpack!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWM chapter.

There is nothing worse than reaching into your backpack and not having what you need. As the school year is finally back into full swing, we are all still scatter brained from being at the beach, working long hours, and having too much fun with our friends. The backpack becomes the holder of everything you need, it holds the essentials to survive before returning home. Over my three years I have had my fair share of mishaps in forgetting important items, I am writing you this article in hopes that you will ALWAYS have the 10 most important items in your backpack!

1. Your daily planner – The planner is essential to not only having a great day, but also a successful year. Keeps you organized and on top of all your assignments and meetings! 
  2. A writing utensil – Personally, I am a pen person and refuse to use a pencil. No matter what you write with… make sure you have it in your backpack before leaving the house. It is hard to take notes when you can’t write!
  3. Laptop and charger – Whether you take notes electronically in class or you have a nice break on campus, having your laptop means you can connect to the internet when you’re on the go. Quickly turn in an assignment before class or sending your professor an email. Your laptop will be very handy!
  4. Books – Nothing is worse than getting to class and your teacher says to take out your books for a quiz and you don’t have it! I always make sure to have books in my backpack for the day. Even though they can be heavy and annoying…. It is always good to be extra prepared! 
  5. Gum – Self-explanatory…. Always nice to smell good! Especially after coffee breath, gum is always important.
  6. Phone Charger – Let’s face it, we are always on our phones! Don’t let it die before you get home so just bring a portable charger with you.
  7. Deodorant / Perfume – If getting ready in the morning was not already tough enough…. You might’ve rushed to get out of the house so it is always good to have a little extra smell good in your bag.
  8. Tampons – We all know your period comes at the WORST times. If you are on campus and don’t want to pay the 50 cents in the bathroom or ask a friend keep tampons in your bag. They are easily hide able and you can help a friend if they’re in need! 
  9. Hair Tie – I never wear my hair up but sometimes it’s the middle of the night and you’re stuck at the library and you just stop caring about what you look like! The hair goes up and you’re in full concentration mode.
  10. Stapler – So many times I find myself printing things on campus in the library or the lab and there is not a stapler in sight! I have found keeping a tiny stapler in my backpack has been a life saver in those last-minute prints!

These 10 things have made my semesters more successful and made me more confident when I leave the house! It is always important to feel complete and always be prepared for class. Here’s to another great year!

Just a small town girl from Illinois eager to jump into a big world. A UWM student studying Communication with a minor in Journalism and Media Studies. Once I see what I want, I will not stop until I get it. I love everything from being outside in the middle of nowhere to being smack dab in the center of a big city. I am very passionate, hard working, talkative, and thoughtful. I am always down for great adventures and I am excited to see where living in Milwaukee takes me!