sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Ways to Find the Perfect Summer Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

With finals coming up and summer on the horizon, many of us are keeping our eyes peeled for a summer job. But depending on your past experience, you may be in for a different position than your friend who is also getting a job for the next few months. The tips below will help you find work that’ll help you make money and give you career experience.

1. Take your interests and experience into consideration

You might be a great caretaker or maybe you’re excellent at doing paperwork – perhaps, like my friend Sam, you have experience in a hospital or doctor’s office because of internships. Take these qualities under consideration when searching and applying for jobs. If you can find a job that you enjoy or one that benefits you now and in the future, that’s the one to shoot for.

2. Make your first impression top notch

If you don’t already have a resume that makes you shine, check out UWF’s Career Services website. They’ll help you build a resume, practice for interviews, and much more! Speaking of interviews, remember to dress professionally. I hear blue and gray are good colors to wear – apparently that can matter. Remember, first impressions do last.

3. Look in more than one place

Again, I suggest utilizing UWF’s Career Services when searching for a job! However, you can also use Indeed.com, Pensacola’s Craigslist, and good old footwork to search for jobs! Just remember to always practice caution when sending out resumes and personal information on the web. Personally, I like going to stores, restaurants, and other possible workplaces that I find interesting and speaking with the managers in person. Ask for an application or a website where you can apply! It’s always best to give them a face to go with your resume!

4. Apply and Inquire

Send in applications for every job that piques your interest! One of them is sure to bite. A week after I apply for a job, I go to the store (or at least call) and inquire about the job. Are they still hiring? Have they looked at your resume and application? Tell them how interested you are in the job and how eager to work. But always, always be brief and polite – don’t make yourself obnoxious.

5. Be honest with yourself and potential employers

Most of us prioritize school over work, sports, clubs, and pretty much anything else on our busy agendas. Make sure that your employer knows that you’re serious about the job and that you’ll be working diligently, but that school is your priority. If you’re taking summer classes or won’t be able to work once the fall comes around, tell them! That’s the respectful and considerate thing to do – it’ll cause you less trouble down the road as well. Consider applying to seasonal or temporary jobs.

6. Prepare for the interview

I’ll say it again. UWF’s Career Services! They’ll help you practice and prepare for interviews. Besides that, make sure you dress appropriately – usually business attire. Again, blue and grey are great interview colors (apparently, they make you seem professional, calm and intelligent).

Have questions ready for the interviewer. You could ask questions specific to the job you’re applying for or you could even ask what they look for in an employee or what they’re favorite part of the job is. Have answers about yourself ready as well.

7. Have Fun

Remember, it’s the summer, so enjoy yourself and your break from school (unless you’re taking summer classes like me). Don’t sweat the rejections and mistakes you’ll make in your job hunt. Just enjoy the ride, learn a little and drink a lot of lemonade!

Thumbnail courtesy of Unsplash

Clara Laine is an English major, with a focus on creative writing, and a minor in psychology. Her passions include, but are not limited to, writing, adventuring, and tea drinking. She loves lying out on the beach, experimenting with new recipes, and people watching. Most importantly, her Hogwarts house is Ravenclaw.
Abigail is a Journalism and Political Science major minoring in Spanish. She has a penchant for puns and can't go a morning without listening to NPR's Up First podcast. You can usually find her dedicating time to class work, Her Campus, College to Congress, SGA or hammocking. Her dream job is working as a television broadcast journalist on a major news network. Down time includes TED talk binges, reading and writing. You can follow Abigail on instagram and Twitter @abi_meggs