7 Reasons Pets Are Better Than an SO

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, all the chocolates and couples on every corner. Some people are rather sad about not having someone on that day. Want to know what’s better than a boyfriend or girlfriend? A pet.

1. They don’t judge you.

It doesn’t matter what you wear or what you do in your spare time, they don’t care. There will be no arguing about it, and they will usually sit there happily with you while you do whatever. Except many cats…

2. They won’t hog the bed.

This one can be iffy. I have seen some dogs take over the bed in their sleep. At least you can get them to move over or get them off with the turn of a knob. Additional bonus: they won’t steal your sheets.

3. They can’t dislike your tastes.

So, you want to watch a marathon of your favorite show on Netflix? Your pet can’t talk back to you about it. They also can’t complain about your music likes.

4. They won’t eat all your food.

They won’t go digging through your cabinets and eat your chocolate. Though, if you do leave it in their sight, there is no guarantee.

5. You technically still have someone to cuddle with.

While, as mentioned above, pets will occasionally hog the bed, they will always be available to cuddle with you every night. Though I wouldn’t try it with a fish, just an idea.

6. They’ll always be there for you.

No matter the day you’ll have, they will always be there at the door, waiting for you. Even if they don’t look excited, they will be happy to know you’re home.

7. You’ll have a “furever” friend.

SOs can come and go, but your pet will always be there for you. 

Just face it, pets are just so much better! 

Thumbnail courtesy of Unsplash

Evangeline Murphy is currently studying to get her BA in English: Creative Writing at University of West Florida. You can usually find her in her room, under a fluffy blanket watching Disney movies or reading. She hopes to use to degree to be an editor. Being paid to read is the dream.
Abigail is a Journalism and Political Science major minoring in Spanish. She has a penchant for puns and can't go a morning without listening to NPR's Up First podcast. You can usually find her dedicating time to class work, Her Campus, College to Congress, SGA or hammocking. Her dream job is working as a television broadcast journalist on a major news network. Down time includes TED talk binges, reading and writing. You can follow Abigail on instagram and Twitter @abi_meggs