7 Amazing Things to Expect from UWF Theatre this Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

Our Theatre Department is positively saturated with talent, and this semester they have two huge opportunities to showcase their abilities: Evita (Feb. 17-19 & Feb. 24-26) and Romeo & Juliet (April 14 & 15). 

As an audience, we have a lot to look forward to:

1. A strong female lead

Evita, the musical being produced by the department this semester, chronicles Eva Peron’s rise to power and reverence in Argentina. Though some of her decisions are seen as controversial, she is undoubtedly a force to be reckoned with.

“She has a lot of rage in her,” said senior Alexa McKnight, who is portraying Eva Peron at the pinnacle of her fame. “She’s very all over the place, but she knew what she wanted.”

McKnight is taking her role to heart, saying that current affairs in our country make a character like this one worth talking about.

“Being a woman, for me, is very important,” she says. “And making sure other women realize how important they are to themselves and to society and to the world… This role portrays a lot of that.”

2. Spurring political awareness

Cassidy Beal will play the young Eva Peron.

Because Eva Peron was the first lady of Argentina, one can draw a few parallels to our current political climate here in the States. The presidential election brought the defeat of Hillary Clinton. We are saying goodbye to an incredibly influential first lady, Michelle Obama, and simultaneously welcoming a controversial one, Melania Trump. There are outcries for someone to champion the causes of the marginalized.

Evita shows us that women in politics should be encouraged and respected, that a controversial first lady can change the morale of an entire nation, and that we have a responsibility to speak out on behalf of the voiceless.

3. Multiple people playing the same character

In the UWF production of Evita, Eva Peron will be portrayed by not one, but two talented actresses from our theatre department. Cassidy Beal will play a young Eva, while Alexa McKnight will play Peron as she was closer to her death.

It is typical for Evita to feature various artists in the role of Eva Peron. Some productions utilize just one, but others have used as many as three actresses for the same part.

“We have so many talented women in this department,” said Director Sara Schoch, who was open to having three Evas, or having only one, but she said she made the final decision to have two during casting.

“These two young ladies absolutely stood out,” she explained.

The transition between Beal and McKnight will take place in the last number of the first act of the show.

Rehearsal for Evita. Photo courtesy Tammy Babich.

4. Taking on Shakespeare

The Theatre Department is serving up a classic by producing Romeo & Juliet this semester.

“I can remember reading the play my freshman year of high school,” said Rebecca Douglas, the freshman student who acquired the iconic role of Juliet. The play was likely a part of the high school curriculum for most of us, making it a familiar title that is likely to draw a crowd.

Douglas mentioned that, while she shares some Juliet’s stubbornness, she only playfully imagined herself cast as the character.

“Obviously I’ve always been into drama, so I thought ‘oh that’d be cool,’ but I don’t think I’ve ever necessarily thought about Juliet.”

Now, Douglas is in the spotlight as one of the most well-known heroines in theatre.

If you miss this show, or the rising star playing Juliet, I’ll have to bite my thumb at thee.

5. Collaborating with the Saenger

UWF’s production of Romeo & Juliet is heading downtown to the Saenger Theater, instead of being presented on the Mainstage or in the Black Box Theater in the University’s Center for Fine and Performing Arts. While the Mainstage Theater here at UWF features only about 300 seats, the Saenger boasts over 1600.

Not only does that level a ton of pressure on the young professionals bringing this production to life, it also poses several other challenges. 

One hurdle is that the sets have to be built on campus in pieces and transported downtown. It also means that there will only be two performances of Romeo & Juliet, instead of the standard six performances that typically happen over the course of two consecutive weekends.

On a positive note, though: Tickets will still be free for students despite the different location.

6. Fight scenes

Ask anyone in the cast of Romeo & Juliet what they are most looking forward to about the show, and I promise you will hear them excitedly answer, “The fight scenes!”

Director Scott Hudson indicated his intention to bring in a professional to choreograph the brawls, but juggling schedules has been tricky. Still, regardless of who ultimately arranges them, these fight scenes are sure to be a must-see component of the show.

7. Gender-bent casting

A handful of women will be donning trousers and unsheathing their swords as male characters in Romeo & Juliet. Gender swaps are nothing new to Shakespearean theatre, and used to be both necessary and expected.

“This will be my first time [playing a man],” said Caitlin Artrip, who will be Gregory in the production. “I’m excited to fight with swords!”

See all of these can’t-miss features and more when you go see Evita (Feb. 17-19 & Feb. 24-26) and Romeo & Juliet (April 14 & 15) this spring.

And for more insider secrets from the Theatre Department, keep an eye on Her Campus UWF.  

Thumbnail photo courtesy John Blackie

I'm a pop-punk-blaring, pizza-chomping, puppy-loving, true crime enthusiast.
Abigail is a Journalism and Political Science major minoring in Spanish. She has a penchant for puns and can't go a morning without listening to NPR's Up First podcast. You can usually find her dedicating time to class work, Her Campus, College to Congress, SGA or hammocking. Her dream job is working as a television broadcast journalist on a major news network. Down time includes TED talk binges, reading and writing. You can follow Abigail on instagram and Twitter @abi_meggs