The 6 Types of Students You See During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

It’s the week we dread the most as college students, and the week that nightmares are made of. At the end of each semester, professors all across the nation decide that the best way to examine your knowledge is to give you a big, fat final. For the last week or two emotions are at an all-time high and Starbucks has never been more popular. Everyone takes finals week differently.

1. The Official Library Resident

The person who eats, sleeps, and breathes the library. He or she may even have a pillow hidden in the depths of the library. For the next week or so they may not see the light of the day. They are so thankful that the library is open all 24 hours and often refer to the library as “club lib.” If you are friends with these people, prepare yourself. You might not see them again until finals are over.

2. The Caffeine Addict

The one person who somehow has energy beyond belief. They may be be running on four hours of sleep, but they’re typing 100 words per minute. All around them are empty red bulls and Starbucks cups, but they keep it coming. They are simply trying to stay awake and finish the week strong.

3. Miss Whatever

They have well past given up. They are probably failing the class anyway so why should they care? These are the people who probably haven’t shown up to class all semester but it’s fine, they’re fine. They are overly calm, and it’s just a tad bit scary. They will not be stressing about finals. “Whatever happens happens” is their life motto. They have taken an L for their exam way before they’ve even taken the test.

4. The Procrastinator

We all have a little bit of this person in us. This student is constantly looking down at their phone. They are big fans of study breaks that are longer than their actual study time. First they check Instagram, then Twitter, and a quick glance at Snapchat. This usually goes on for hours instead of seconds. They might even throw in couple episodes on Netflix. They will most likely be cramming, but it will all eventually get done.

5. The Crier

Finals has definitely taken a toll on this person. They can no longer deal with the stress of having what seems like their life is on the line. They are emotional and the impending stress stressed them out and turns into a vicious cycle. My suggestion is let them get it out of their system and let them cry.

6. The Overachiever

The person you low key hate. They have been studying for months and don’t have a worry in the world. They know the subject like the back of their hand. He or she may have to brush up on a little bit of reading but they do not have to spend hours on end trying to get their life together. The final essay that everyone starts 24 hours before it’s due, well this person already turned theirs in and has their grade back.

At the end of finals you will be beyond relieved and will be glad that you sacrificed a couple hours of sleep for an A on your exam. My life motto for next couple of weeks is GPA is forever and the pain is temporary so keep bringing the coffee.

Thumbnail courtesy College Dilemma

Jenny is our fearless Her Campus UWF President. She gets to call Naples, FL her hometown and Pensacola her home away from home. Jenny is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Spanish and International Studies. When she isn't writing articles, you can find her watching The Office, petting puppies, or planning her next road trip!
Abigail is a Journalism and Political Science major minoring in Spanish. She has a penchant for puns and can't go a morning without listening to NPR's Up First podcast. You can usually find her dedicating time to class work, Her Campus, College to Congress, SGA or hammocking. Her dream job is working as a television broadcast journalist on a major news network. Down time includes TED talk binges, reading and writing. You can follow Abigail on instagram and Twitter @abi_meggs