4 Ways to Deal With Your Sex-crazed Roommate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

College is the time for exploration and finding yourself, deciding whom to trust and whom to love. But what happens when your roommate shows a little too much appreciation for her boyfriend, friend, or simply the boy next door? If your roommate is trying to have a fun time of her own, you either drag your pillow and a blanket across the hall into the common area and you pitch yourself a tent for the night. Or you could put your big girl pants on and deal with it using the following tips. 

1. Talk to a friend 

Girl let it out! Find a friend who will let you rant and stay over for the night. Now I’m not saying tell the whole world. Be careful with whom you tell. You don’t want your roommate to hear you, too. Do not hold it in because it will kill you to never say anything. Take your favorite hot chocolate mix, or something stronger, and release your aggression. 

2. Have a plan

It’s a nightmare coming home to your room after a long day and finding out your roomie is using it with her SO for life’s intimate pleasures. You come home and then you see it, the universal sign for the room is occupied, the sock on the door. All your head can think of is retreating; and running fast and far away from your room. For these situations, always have a backup plan. Find the common room or go to the library. Yes, at the end of the day all you want to do is lay in your bed, but instead of fighting your way into your room, have a safe spot where you can stay for the time needed. 

3. Do not retaliate 

As much as you just want to poke holes in their condoms and hope for the worst, you can’t fight fire with fire. We’ve all thought about mean and sinister things to do after we’ve been waiting outside for hours on end, but be the bigger person. If your best friend is also your roommate, you don’t want to end that friendship. Even if you aren’t best buddies, you still have to live with them. Instead of doing something passive aggressive, continue to the next step: talking it out. 

4. Talk to your roommate 

Most importantly, don’t forget to communicate. Let her know that you really don’t appreciate them having sex at all hours of the day. Remind her that it’s a shared space.  Let her know that it bothers you that she and her special friend are fondling in the bed next to you. Set boundaries; she may not be aware that there is an issue. Remember, this is your space, too, and you have a right to feel comfortable. 

Thumbnail courtesy of CNN

Anonymous account for the Her Campus UWF chapter.
Abigail is a Journalism and Political Science major minoring in Spanish. She has a penchant for puns and can't go a morning without listening to NPR's Up First podcast. You can usually find her dedicating time to class work, Her Campus, College to Congress, SGA or hammocking. Her dream job is working as a television broadcast journalist on a major news network. Down time includes TED talk binges, reading and writing. You can follow Abigail on instagram and Twitter @abi_meggs