The Chicana Beyonce: 22 Years After Selena’s Tragic Murder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWB chapter.

22 years ago on this date the life of an ICONIC Queen was slain, and her shining career was cut short. A daughter, sister, best friend, and wife, Selena Quintanilla was only 23 years old when she was shot dead by the president of her fan club. She was one of the most successful Mexican-American Figures as a Singer and a philanthropist. Often compared to Madonna, I believe Selena was more like the Chicana Beyonce, she was a role model and inspiration to many young latinx indviduals and to the Latinx community, prominently Mexican communities.

Her legacy still lives on and is passed down in every generation as her success continues to radiate through those who look up to her story.

Selena Quintanilla was born April 16th, 1971 in Lake Jackson, Texas. At an early age her father influenced her and her two siblings A.B and Suzzy to form a small band that would play at their family restaurant. Selena like all kids at a young age wanted to just have a normal childhood and play outside with the other kids in the neighborhood. Her father was very reluctant and did not change his mind. Little did she know that all those days practicing the same songs in spanish in her home would lead her to sell out the 65,000 seats in the Astrodome. Selena became an instant hit and toured around with her family and some neighborhood friends who formed the band. She was home schooled and had a love for fashion design. She designed most of her performance costumes and later had her own line of clothing. She was not a scandalous nor problematic personality like most stars today but she did get secretly married to her lead guitarist Chris Perez in 1991, she did this behind her parents back because her father did not approve. She was a normal person who did not let fame or vanity corrupt her personality or dreams, that is what made her dominate many platforms here in the U.S and in Latinx Communities.

“Como la Flor”, “Bidi Bidi Bom Bom”, and “Baila Esta Cumbia” being some of her most iconic songs in spanish have become automatic playlist must-haves at every Latinx celebration. Spanish may be the language most of her songs are in but Selena actually didn’t speak spanish fluently, growing up in Texas she just understood, read and obviously sang it perfectly. “Dreaming of you” and “I Could Fall In Love” are some of her english songs that most Americans knew her from. She is one of the earliest Latinx stars that topped both English and Spanish platforms and was able to be well known and loved by both communities. Today, many remember her story from Selena the movie, (which basically jump started JLOs career btw) and most recently by the special edition Selena  M.A.C. Collection that sold out within minutes. Her ability to stay real, charismatic and fun made her a personality that everyone loved instantly and will remember for a lifetime.

She was and continues to be a source of inspiration to many. Selena Quintanilla broke many barriers and set an example for Womxn and the Chicanx community. She set an example of what it looks like when you put in hardwork and stay true to who you are. She made sure to exemplify that it is important to be you and not what the world tells you to be, you can be successful, you do not have to fit the mold society tells you to fit in. Her legacy still lives on, and I can personally say that she is someone who I have always looked up to, It hurts my heart everytime I think of the idea of what could have been if she was still around. I am forever thankful for the doors and dreams she opened for me and those who identified with her. Being Chicana myself, it has always been really hard for me to find someone to look up to or aspire to be like in the media now a days, but Selena’s dreams and accomplishments inspire me to be a source of inspiration for the womxn around me! What qualities do you share with Selena?

Selena Quintanilla, your legacy continues.

P.S. Currently crying while putting on red lipstick and singing my heart out to “Amor Prohibido”.

Photos Courtesy of: Photobucket

Angelica Mendoza is a Sophomore at UW Bothell with an intended Major in Media & Communications and a minor in Diversity Studies. Pronouns are Her, Hers, Ella. She aspires to inspire Latinas and Womxn of color to challenge the way media portrays them and to break barriers that are placed in front of them because of where they come from or who they are. She wants to be a voice in the media for young womxn because we are real womxn with real stories and valid opinions! She is proud to be a xicana and loves traveling, meeting new people and going out to new places with her friends and family!