A-Z Designer Brand Pronunciation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

“I love that one dress from…umm…how do you say their name?” We have all been there. You are trying to show off your fashion knowledge when you approach a major barrier: the pronunciation. Unfortunately, the majority of high-end designers are from Europe and other parts of the world, thus making the pronunciation a tad questionable. Unless you’re minoring in that specific language or actually paid attention in middle school foreign language classes—you are at a loss. Trust me, nothing makes you feel less intelligent or cultured than butchering the name of a well-known designer. To save you from those embarrassing moments I have compiled a list of the top fashion designers and an easy to use pronunciation guide. Happy pronouncing!

Anna Sui: Anna Swee

Balenciaga: bahl-en-see-ag-ah

Comme des Garçons: comb day gah-sawn

Dries Van Noten: drees vahn no-ten

Emilio Pucci: e-meal-io pooch-e

Fendi: fen-de

Givenchy: zhee-von-she

Hermès: air-mez

Isaac Mizrahi: eye-zic miz-ra-he

Jean Paul Gaultier: zhon paul go-tee-ay

Karl Lagerfeld: Karl logger-feld

Lanvin: lahn-vahn

Miu Miu: mew mew

Narciso Rodriguez: nar-cease-oh rod-ree-guez

Olivier Theyskens: oh-liv-ee-ay tay-skins

Proenza Schouler: pro-enz-ah skoo-lur

Rodarte: row-dart-ay

Salvatore Ferragamo: sal-vuh-tor-ay fair-ah-gamo

Thakoon: tah-koon

Versace: vare-sotch-ay

Yves Saint Laurent: eve sahn lor-ahn

Zac Posen: zac pose-en

All it takes is a little practice and you will be good to go! Don’t worry if you occasionally forget to say a name in a French accent or whatever accent it is typically pronounced with; try your best and no one will know the difference.

Abigail is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. She is majoring in Retail Merchandising and Management with a concentration in Fashion Marketing and has a double minor in Business Administration and Spanish. Aside from being a Style Writer for Her Campus, she is involved with Campus Crusade for Christ (CRU) and Street Level Ministries. In her spare time she enjoys collecting art, watching Hallmark movies with family and friends, and going on adventures. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout