What to Include in a Resume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Having an impressive resume is what can really land you your dream job. They are needed for every job you apply for so here are some great things to include to really make your resume stand out.

Name:

Obviously, you should have your name at the top. Some people choose to include their contact information such as phone number, email address, and location on the top as it is easiest to locate. As long as you include it, it’s good to go!

Major:

I don’t think I have to say how important this. Employer knows what they are looking for and what specific major should fulfill the role, it should stand out on the page. Including any minors or concentrations is important too; this allows them to see what other skills you have that could help you in the position.

Relevant Classes:

Including the coursework you took during college that is relevant to the position you are apply for should be included next. The employers can see what you have specifically studied and know a lot about, it is a great way to highlight learning opportunities you had that others may not have. Specific classes can really help the employer see if the position is similar to those classes that you have taken.

EXAMPLE: You are applying to Conde Nast Traveler. You would include your class Study Abroad- Travel Media Writing (Not many students got to write reviews and maintain a blog while backpacking through Taiwan, so it will make you stand out)

Job Experience:

In my opinion, reading from top to bottom, job experience should be listed third. This way, employers can see what all you have done and how long you kept a job as it’s always nice for them to know that you can keep a job and grow in the position. You should make sure to provide descriptors as well to give an idea of the duties you performed. If you’ve worked ten jobs, pick the 3-5 most relevant to the position you are applying. 

EXAMPLE: You’ve worked in/as catering, retail, lab assistant. However, you’re applying for a job marketing a business. You would instead include your experience with writing for new papers, online magazines, social media. If your relevant work experience is limited, highlight skills from the other jobs that could benefit you in this position. Retail=Hands on experience in customer satisfaction.

Skills:

Including what skills and programs you are proficient in can help you secure a job. If you are proficient with photography and Photoshop, you will be considered more over someone who has never used either. Having skills you can demonstrate will take your resume to the next level.

Activities and Clubs:

Not always necessary, but you can include what sports or organizations you are part of. It’s always good to have a background on things you have participated in that you enjoy doing. I think this is relevant for when you don’t have a lot of job experience or work teams you are part of so they can still see a little more about you.

EXAMPLE: If you are applying to REI or Cabela’s, include that you were the captain of the water ski team. 

Volunteer Work:

Volunteer work is always great to include if you don’t have work experience and can always make you stand out. I think that when people see you are passionate about your community, it makes you look better as a candidate.

Picture:

You may choose to include a professional picture of yourself for employers to match a name to a face. This can be an eye catcher and make you a unique candidate for a job. Just make sure it’s professional and not a selfie from your phone.

Erika is a Professional Communications and Emerging Media student at the University of Wisconsin - Stout.  She hopes to find a career in journalism after graduation to continue her love for writing. She loves fashion, dancing, and sleeping.
Her Campus at UW-Stout