V-Day Date Idea: Personalized Fortune Cookie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Everyone knows that the best part of a meal at a Chinese restaurant is the fortune cookie. This simple dessert contains a prediction to your future that has you rushing to find out what’s in store for you next according to the fortunes inside. Wouldn’t it be incredible if someone you love surprised you with a personalized fortune? My parents got engaged thanks to the handy trick of microwaving the cookie to soften it and placing a proposal inside. Not ready for a proposal yet? No worries, you can place any phrase inside.

Here’s how:

Step one: Write or type a custom fortune onto a small piece of paper (approximately ½ inch by 2 inches)

Step two: Purchase a few fortune cookies at your local grocery store or pick up a couple extra at your favorite Chinese restaurant

Step three: Remove the cookie from its plastic wrapping. Dampen a paper towel (not soaking wet), and wrap it around the cookie

Step four: Microwave the cookie for around 30 seconds, depending on how powerful your microwave is

Step five: Proceeding with caution, remove the hot fortune cookie from the damp towel and pry the cookie open. Remove the original fortune and replace it with your homemade one. Gently refold the shell into its original shape, and within 20 seconds the cookie should begin to return to its original hardness

Step six: Deliver the cookie to its unsuspecting recipient, and don’t forget to make the fortune a reality!

Happy Valentine’s Day, and may all of your fortune cookies come true!

Her Campus at UW-Stout