This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

A change of seasons means a change of style. Summer is just around the corner and it’s time to start switching up our makeup look. While dark lip colors paired with a knit scarf may have been perfect for the chilly air, the new season may be calling you to switch up your look. Here are five easy ways to make your look scream summer. You’ll be sitting by the poor looking just as fabulous as Sharpay in no time!

1. Beach-y Hair

Beach waves are one of the easiest hairstyles you could possibly create. Spray some sea salt spray in your hair while it’s either wet or dry. Many instructions call for you to scrunch up your hair, but I find that I get better results and bigger waves by putting my hair in a ballerina bun after using product. Both techniques will yield relatively similar results, but it depends on the texture or size of waves you are going for. Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray is a great affordable option or make your own

2. Add Some Summer Shades

While a pair of sunglasses never failed to summer-fy an outfit, those aren’t the shades I’m talking about. If you’re looking for an easy way to embrace the season, swap out some neutrals for bright colors. Swipe on a bright pink, hot red, or flirty purple shade. Try highlighting the inner corners of your eyes with a pop of color. Use colored eyeliner instead of your regular black or brown. There’s a ton of products that come in colorful shades, so don’t be afraid to play around with different color pallettes. If you’re a neutral lover and can’t shake those shades, opt for warmer neutrals to give you a warm, bronzey look.

3. Waterproof Everything

Summer means warmer temperatures and humid air, which can really take a toll on your makeup. If you don’t want to lose an eyebrow, make sure you’re using waterproof makeup. It’s relatively easy to find waterproof eyeliner, mascara, and brow products. For powder products, look for anything that says “long lasting.” If you’re willing to splurge on a non-drugstore option, Tarte’s Amazonian Clay Matte Waterproof Bronzer will stay on your face all day. While it does not claim to be waterproof, I have also found that Physician’s Formula Butter Bronzer lasts for a long time. Cream blushes and stains are also great for maintaining a rosy look all day.

4. Baking and Setting Sprays Are Your New BFFs

One of the most important ways to keep your makeup secure is to lock everything down. Bake with a loose powder or use a powder puff to press the powder into your skin. Not only will it give you an airbrushed finish, but it will absorb any oils and secure your makeup. Take it one step further by using a setting spray on your makeup. Urban Decay’s All Nighter Long Lasting Makeup Setting Spray and the NYX Makeup Setting Spray Matte Finish both have a reputation for actually keeping your makeup on your face, even in the summer heat.

5. Become the Bronze Goddess You Were Always Meant to Be

Us pale girls know that one of the best parts of summer is getting a nice tan and not looking like a ghost anymore. Luckily, makeup is here to enhance that glow. If you want a more bronzy look, opt for a bronzer with gold specks or a nice gleam to it. To add even more glow, opt for a champagne or golden-toned highlight, but don’t just stop at the high points of your face. One of my favorite tricks is adding highlight to other highpoints of my body, such as collarbones and shoulders; just make sure you’re using a separate makeup brush than the one you’re using on your face. I learned this trick from Jaclyn Hill, a.k.a. The Highlighting Queen, and was surprised at how stunning it looks.Switching up a few small aspects of your look will not only help you be on-trend this summer, but it will help your makeup last longer. Some small changes will make a big difference when you’re gearing up for summer fun.

Kendra Lamer

UW Stout '19

Kendra Lamer is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at UW-Stout. She is a professional communication and emerging media major with a concentration in applied journalism at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. When she's not doing school work or writing for Her Campus, you can find her dancing at the studio, going for a run, drinking coffee or decorating for holidays way too early. After graduating, she plans on pursuing a career in public relations or journalism and adopting lots of dogs.
Her Campus at UW-Stout