absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Eating Vegetarian at Stout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Being vegetarian on campus seems a lot harder than it actually is, especially here at Stout. There’s always a few meat-free entrees, and most of the others can be modified to fit your needs. And with unlimited sides, you can fill up on veggies, salad, soup, fruit, and much more! So if you’ve ever thought about cutting out meat, now’s the time to try it.

Entrees

If you’ve been a vegetarian for a while, you’re probably used to modifying food to fit your diet at restaurants.  But if you’re new to the scene, Stout provides many opportunities to make entrees work for you. Anything with the word ‘bar’ is your best friend, because choosing exactly what you want to eat is the whole point! The taco bar comes with a vegetarian option.  When all else fails, there’s always refried beans, cheese, and vegetables that can make a mean taco on their own. As for the grilled cheese bar, you can choose your favorite cheeses and vegetables, all made to order. Other highlights are the mac and cheese bar, Stir N Wok, and build your own sandwich. Supplemented with a little bit of creativity and condiments, you will never be stuck eating the same thing twice.

Salad Bar

The salad bar is always open, and it offers the chance to load up on vegetables! With a variety of toppings and dressings to fit any dietary needs, the salad bar will always have your back. Don’t forget to pick up some fruit at the end!

Sides

Take advantage of your unlimited sides. There’s always a hot vegetable, soup, and tons of meat free side choices. Don’t be afraid of asking for just mashed potatoes or French fries; everyone that works for University Dining is really cool about giving you what you ask for. Along with station-specific sides, cereal, peanut butter and jelly are always options.

Desserts

Most (if not all) of the desserts offered in the cafeterias are vegetarian, and soft serve ice cream is available all day, every day!

If you’re still having trouble figuring out what you can eat, vegetarian options are labelled both on the menus and in the cafeteria. Whether or not you are vegetarian, or just looking to incorporate more meat-free meals, Stout has you covered.

Sarah is a freshman in the Professional Communications program at UW-Stout. She hopes to work as a journalist after graduation. When she's not writing, she can be found reading true crime novels, hiking, or watching HGTV.
Her Campus at UW-Stout