sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Ways to Transform Your Dorm for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

With Halloween coming up fast, it’s time to get in the spirit with some dorm décor! These are just a few ideas on how to get your dorm ready for October 31st for you to use as a jumping off point for your own decoration ideas.

1. Fairy Lights 

Most stores sell colored fairy lights, and orange, green, or purple ones will give your room a spooky glow, and some stores even sell them shaped like pumpkins, spiders, or skulls. Already have fairy lights? Cover them in fake spider webs or add a festive garland to give them a Halloween makeover.

2. Candy

Fill a festive bowl with candy and pop it on your coffee table or desk. It’s an easy and delicious way to get in the Halloween spirit! Your room will be the most popular on the floor, with all your friends stopping by to pick up a piece of their favorite candy on their way to class.

3. Construction Paper Pumpkins

Real jack-o-lanterns will rot, so create your own out of construction paper to stick on your door! Bonus points for any other halloween characters you can create and display. 

4. Door Covers 

Pumpkins not scary enough for you? Lots of places sell sheets that can turn your door into a monster’s face, a skeleton, or a haunted house.

5. Paint a Pumpkin

If you still want to decorate a pumpkin, try painting it instead! You won’t have to deal with any of the guts and they won’t rot too quickly, and you get to show off your creative side. Try using it to prop open your door, that way everyone can see your amazing Halloween decorations.

6. Painted Mason Jars

Add a little light to your desk with these painted mason jars! Substitute electric tea lights for candles in these adorable little guys to make them dorm safe. Or, ditch the light altogether and use them as extra storage for office and hair supplies.

Head to your local Walmart or dollar store to pick up supplies for cheap and go to town! Being around their selection of Halloween décor can inspire you and give you even more ideas on how to decorate your dorm for the season.

Sarah is a freshman in the Professional Communications program at UW-Stout. She hopes to work as a journalist after graduation. When she's not writing, she can be found reading true crime novels, hiking, or watching HGTV.
Her Campus at UW-Stout