This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Approaching our freshman year of college, we had heard numerous stories of best friends that lived together and drifted apart. Knowing what our friendship was, we were bound not to let that happen to us. My first few months of college would be totally different without her by my side- I totally encourage rooming with a friend from high school; these happy stories need to be shared so that high schoolers out there know that rooming with your best friend can be an amazing adventure as you figure out life in college.

Share Food/Binge Eat When life stresses you out, nothing is better than binge eating caramel M&M’s with the roomie when we really know that we should be working out. We steal each other’s food and could care less.

Share Clothes Sometimes I realize that I left the perfect cardigan at home, I can instantly turn to my roommate and know that she can save the day with her wardrobe. Plus, who doesn’t want double the amount of clothes?

Watch Netflix Shows in Pajamas When I look my worst, I can still count on my roommate to hang out with me in pajamas, watching Grey’s Anatomy or Friends, and freaking out when something crazy happens. And when the next episode won’t load, we can rage at it together.

Dance to Disney Music Studying can destroy my sanity if I don’t have a break, and my besties are always there with the Disney music (ex: Moana, Tangled, Frozen, High School Musical) to jam to, literally dancing around the dorm room, acting like a bunch of children.

Get Emotional about Random Things Together Sometimes me and my roommate get emotional, and it’s nice knowing that I have someone who can be there for me and with me through tough moments. Sometimes we all just need a hug, and when you live with your best friend, the support is unending. P.S. Late night movie nights are the best when you need stress relief.

Make Stupid Mistakes Sometimes when driving downtown you turn the wrong way down a one way street, and you laugh, because it’s only something that would happen to you and your friend.

These are just a few moments that display the benefits of rooming with a friend from high school. It’s been so effortless to live with someone exactly like me. And the best part is, we’ve made so many new friends along the way.

Proverbs 17:17 says “A friend loves at all times”, and I’m so thankful to have a friend by my side who gives me unending support.

Just an English major and barista who loves to travel, hammock, and pet dogs. Psalm 46:5.