How to Get the Interview and Land the Job/Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

If you’ve clicked on this article, I will assume you’re in the position many, many college students are in—the position of ‘Holy crap, what am I doing with my life?!’ The real question is, who actually knows what they’re doing with their life???? It’s easy for time to pass you by before realizing you need to start preparing for your future. The good news? These little tips and tricks can help you on your way!

1.) Stop Stressing

The biggest obstacle to pursing anything substantial is the worrying you contribute to it. Sometimes doing so can actually prevent you from following through with your goals. If you’re like me, the job/internship bullet point on your to-do list sat there for much longer than it should, solely because the mere thought of it freaks you out. Well, I’m here to tell you that anything is possible. I went from no updated resume, cover letter, or potential applications to all of that and then some—a job interview for a photography studio (all within about five hours)! So remember, it only takes seconds for your luck to change.

2.) Start Doing

Although my above point is true, you must put in the work! Most likely, these sorts of opportunities won’t fall at your feet or be presented to you. You need to take the initiative necessary to make these positive changes in your life. Often, searching for internships and jobs can be intimidating and leave you feeling lost. Just know there are so many resources available to you—from professors and advisers to job sites such as https://app.joinhandshake.com/login and http://www.indeed.com. Whichever path you choose to take–remember people are there to help!

3.) Get Help With Your Resume + Cover Letter

Being a writing minor and someone who loves to help others with their own work, I’ve seen an overwhelming amount of no-no resumes. My first piece of advice here is to always make sure you’re taking your material into a writing center/workshop, using online builders/templates, or having someone in this area of expertise look it over. It’s easy to make mistakes and hard to know what to include when you’re new to the game. Present the aspects of your personality, work experience, and academic focus to promote your qualification for the job. No, they probably have no interest in your high school babysitting or busboy position (especially if they don’t apply to the responsibilities you’re expected of in this new position). The employers will likely see your resume and cover letter before they see you, so make sure it appears as professional as possible. P.S.–> I’m always willing to help out on both to those who need it! Don’t hesitate to email me at: walkush.abby@uwlax.edu

4.) First Impressions

Looking at various websites and research, it’s assumed that interviewers make an impression of their interviewees seconds after meeting them. With that being said, your appearance is vital. If you’re interviewing for a job or internship, you’re most often expected to arrive in a business professional/casual attire. I would always advise dressing up—it’s better to show up in a dress and blazer to a casual work environment than show up in jeans and t-shirt to a formal one. Ask if you’re not sure (do this over the phone when they offer you an interview)! This is a great opportunity to use some of your extra spending money if you have it to invest in some professional wear—shoes, dress pants, blazers, etc. It will come in handy in the future if not now. Mastering your handshake is another crucial aspect of the interview. They’re looking for someone with confidence and professionalism that comes with a firm handshake. Practice if you need the night before (it may sound dorky but as I mentioned earlier, this handshake is likely a moment of consideration). If you forget everything you’re reading in this article, let the one thing you remember be—-always stand up and use direct eye contact when shaking your potential future employer’s hand. While your resume and cover letter give them a decently accurate sense of who you are, you must wow them with your personality. They may have dozens of other interviews so it’s important to be enthusiastic and excited about the opportunity—make them believe choosing you is a good decision on their part. 

5.) The Interview

Interviews can be downright SCARY. Some people have them down to a tee and others fall into a puddle of nerves. Whichever you are, make sure to practice, practice, practice. This could be recording yourself with your phone or performing a mock interview with your roommate. It’s always a good refresher to look up common interview questions so you’re prepared. Almost every job field has specified questions that you can anticipate and review online. Again, like your resume–it’s good to positively promote yourself and use all the facets of your life in way that conveys your awesome-ness. Research the company your interviewing for and the interviewer if you’re given that information. They will be looking for your familiarity with the company and/or your fit for it. It’s never a bad idea to slip in things you’ve learned from your research, as well reference to their values/misson statement to give you a leg up. Interviewers will commonly wrap up the interviewing process by asking you if you have any questions for them. Most people fall into the trap of replying no, however, always come ready with some. This lets them know you’re truly interested (ask them about expected dress attire, the company’s work environment, what they’re looking for in an employee, etc.). The bottom line is: make sure you’re prepared, arrive plenty early, smile often, and be as confident as you can.

6.) What Comes Next

If you got the job, congrats–you’ve done it!! You’re now finally able to breathe a little better and look forward to the future. Entering a new work environment with a new boss, coworkers, rules, expectations, protocols, training, and more can be intimidating and scary. It’s never fun to start at the bottom of the totem pole with no sense of belonging or understanding. Know that you’re bound to make mistakes (it’s apart of learning) and that everyone was were you’re at now at some point or another. Ask lots of questions (But don’t be overbearing. You want them to see you’re a fast learner) People are there to help you out and in no time things will be second nature to you. Look at it as an incredible opportunity that others don’t get. You will rock it!

And if you didn’t get the job, there’s most definitely a silver lining!! Is the opportunity for a job interview ever a bad thing?! The answer is no! The mere experience this has brought you will be yet another tool in your pocket moving forward. It has eqipped you with the necessary experience to rock your next job interview. There are numerous jobs and internships out there for you and no matter how cliche it sounds—you will soon realize things worked out this way for a better opportunity to come along. You got it!