Things I Learned As a College Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

It’s hard to believe that my first year at the University of Vermont is coming to an end, but I couldn’t be happier with how this year panned out.  Now that I’m an almost-sophomore, I’d like to share with you a few things I learned over the past seven months.

One of the first things I learned when I got to UVM was that college kind of sucks at first.  I’ll be honest, I thought that the minute I stepped foot on campus I’d be having the time of my life.  However, I spent most nights crying and thinking about how much I missed home.  But have no fear!  This feeling subsided eventually, and now I’m thankful that I experienced it because it showed me how much fun you can have when you give something a chance.

Another thing I learned as a freshman is that coffee is extremely important.  I wasn’t much of a coffee drinker before college, but once I realized that my linguistics notes weren’t going to study themselves, I needed something that would allow me to stay awake for extended periods of time.  Now, I am shamelessly addicted and I’m convinced that coffee is my one true love.

In addition, college will introduce you to some of the best people.  Not only do I have a super awesome roommate, but I’ve also met a ton of other people through my classes and extracurriculars.  I think a big reason that a lot of college students get along so well is because we’re all starving and poor.

College also taught me that it’s important to pursue your passions.  I came to UVM with every intention of becoming a speech pathologist, but recently I changed my major to public communications.  I want to work in a field where I can channel my creative side, and I love collaborating with others and meeting new people, so I decided that PCOM was a better fit for me.  That being said, I couldn’t have made this decision without the help of the lovely advisors here at UVM, who all encouraged me to take the path I felt was best for me.

Finally, being in college has helped me understand the value of nap time.  I’ve always been a fan of naps, however, since coming to college, my affinity for napping has become even stronger.  Sometimes it’s hard to get a good night’s sleep in a dorm, since some people like to be as loud as possible once it night time hits, so I appreciate any extra minute of sleep that I can get throughout the day.

So, although it started off a bit rocky, I can’t imagine my freshman year going any other way.  I learned so much about myself, others, and the importance of caffeinated beverages, all of which I’m extremely thankful for.  I’m excited to take the things I learned this year and use them to my advantage next year.  I may still be starving and poor, but at least I’ll be wise!

Jenna Toth is a second year student at the University of Vermont, majoring in public communication. Jenna is no stranger to the world of writing-- her grandfather, Owen Canfield, is a former sports writer for the Hartford Courant in Connecticut. She considers him one of her biggest inspirations when it comes to writing. During her downtime, Jenna enjoys long walks to the fridge, playing songs on her ukulele, and cuddling with her black lab, Oliver. If you'd like to read more of Jenna's personal work or learn more about her, check out her social media: Twitter: https://twitter.com/jennalouisetoth Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jennatoth/ Tumblr: https://jennalouisetoth.tumblr.com/
I'm Emma, an 18 year old figure skater and artist from the Boston Area. I am a first year student at the University of Vermont majoring in Studio Art and Psychological Sciences as part of the Integrated Fine Art's Deans program, while participating in Hillel, and The UVM Figure Skating Club as a member of the UVM Synchronized Figure Skating Team as well as the Ice Cats performance team. I am the Editor-in-Chief of the Her Campus UVM Chapter and also the Campus Correspondent. I am passionate about fashion, writing, feminism, beauty, living green, and travelling. I believe in being confidently beautiful and empowering women to feel the same!