Study Success: Studying Tips From Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Swamped with homework? Stop procrastinating and get to it!

In college, it is extremely important to find what study habits work best for you. Some people need to study at a place like the library where it is completely silent, while others can do work in their loud, busy, dorm room blasting music. What works best for you?

I asked a few students for some of their study tips that help them get their work done. Janelle Sarnevitz ’14 said it is important to “pace yourself and be sure to take breaks in between studying. “A break could involve checking your notifications on Facebook, eating a quick snack, or even just going for a quick jog around your block. Becca D’Andrea ’14 says “I lock myself in a study room for hours with all my books. “ She also explains that making note cards helps and she quizzes herself with them until her ”brain is stuffed.” Lastly, some great advice Becca gives is that “studying in groups really helps reinforce the knowledge.”

Maya Curtis ’14 says it is important to “find a good spot where you can focus away from distractions.” Some people can zone out any distractions, while others become unfocused and get sidetracked. When studying, it is important to set goals, and to find the perfect study space to be productive. Personally, I love to do work at my desk in my room and I create a to-do list so I don’t forget to do any of my work. Before a test, I look over my notes right before class so the information is fresh in my mind.

These tips help me get all my studying done, but everyone has a different method that works for them. So, next time you’re stressing out about studying, try some of these tips and see which of them works the best for you!