This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

On April 15th-18th, over 10,000 students from across the nation gathered in Washington D.C. to get the point across: change in environmental policy must occur to ensure a sustainable future for generations to come. The Energy Action Coalition included sensational speeches from influential people in politics like Lisa Jackson, administrator of the EPA, Bill McKibbens, creator of 350.org, and former Vice President Al Gore.

Several different workshops and panels further educated us students on environmental issues such as Mountaintop Removal, hydro-fracking, the BP oil spill, and also taught us how to use this knowledge to make a change in the world and our Universities. These speakers and workshops prepared us for the most influential part of our movement, where over 2,000 students rallied in the streets of our nation’s capital, marching to the US Chamber of Commerce, BP headquarters, the Department of the Interior, and finally the White House. Chants like “Make polluters pay! Not the EPA!” got our point across to all in Washington that day, demanding that BP take responsibility for their actions in the gulf. The feeling was electrifying, seeing thousands of passionate people fighting for what they believe in.

Only a couple weeks have passed and the power has begun to shift! Since the Make Big Polluters Pay Rally & March President Obama has stepped up the calls to transition subsidies for oil to clean energy investments. Hundreds of grassroots movements have rippled across the country, pressuring BP with flash mobs and impromptu protests.

There are several upcoming events where you can make a direct impact in Burlington. Green up day is Saturday May 7th, join the community in promoting awareness of a liter-free environment by picking up trash around town. Stop by four hubs around town to grab a trash bag and gloves. City Hall, on 149 Church Street, DPW/Parks Bldg, 645 Pine St., The Miller Community Center on 130 Gosse Ct. or the Sustainability Academy at 123 North street. Sunday May 8th march the streets to let
the world know the importance of moral issues surrounding climate change in the IMatter march. Meet at City Hall Park at 1:00 pm on Sunday with your walking shoes and take part in this global youth march! Want more information? Every Wednesday at 7 pm in the Greenhouse Lobby a group of students who took part in Powershift meet to share ideas and promote upcoming events!