My Life is GrUV: Autumn Gems of Vermont

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

It’s no secret that Vermont autumns are one of the most beloved parts of the Green Mountain State. People flock from all over to appreciate the vibrant foliage that decorates the state from September to November. But the foliage isn’t the only thing that Vermont has to offer in the fall. Here’s a list of the gems that Vermont has to offer during this beautiful time of the year.

Foliage

Vermont foliage is famous worldwide and there’s truly no better way to appreciate it than at the peak of one of the numerous mountains in the Green Mountain State. Being surrounded by the vibrant colors of fall, and seeing it span below you for endless miles truly takes your breath away. My favorite hike to do in the fall is at Prospect Rock. It’s a fairly easy hike and is a perfect way to spend your Saturday. Although the hike itself does not bring you especially high into the mountains, the views from the summit include nothing but trees that look like they’re on fire. Check out the trail guide here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_MEDIA/stelprdb5317937.pdf

Burlington Farmer’s Market

If you haven’t made your way down to City Hall Park to spend your Saturday morning at the Farmer’s Market, you’re doing Burlington wrong. I know after a night of partying the last thing any of us wants to do on a Saturday morning is leave our heaven of a comfy bed and endless Netflix, but this farmer’s market is more than worth it. And if I can drag my butt out of bed and get it downtown early on a Saturday, anyone can. More than 80 local vendors set up shop in the City Hall Park from 8:30am-2:00pm, starting in May and lasting until the end of October. The products sold are endless and range from shaved ice with fresh fruit syrups to homemade leather goods to local brews to a variety of ethnic foods to handcrafted jewelry. There’s still a little time left to visit the market before the end of the month so take advantage of it!

Apple Picking and Everything that Goes with It

There are countless apple orchards across Vermont, but a local favorite here in Burlington is Shelburne Orchards. The orchard is a sustainable, family-run business that has been around for more than 60 years. There’s more than 80 acres of apple trees and it’s located on the shore of Lake Champlain. So while you’re picking apples, you also have an amazing view of the lake and mountains. But the orchard offers so much more than just delicious, fresh apples. Poke around their Cider House Farm Market where you can pick up various local products (most of which the Orchard makes) and don’t dare leave without their fresh-pressed cider and homemade apple cider donuts. Check out their website to see what apples are in season: http://www.shelburneorchards.com/

Haunted Corn Maze

It wouldn’t be fall if you didn’t experience a good scare before Halloween. One of the best, and more unconventional ways to do this is to take a step back in time and grab a group of friends and do a haunted corn maze. If you’re like me and don’t do well in terrifying situations, opt for a tamer experience and just do a regular corn maze. 

Chloe Vickers is a Junior studying Public Communication and Animal Science at UVM. She began writting for Your Style Forecast towards the end of Summer 2014 and began writing for UVM's Chapter of Her Campus shortly after.