The Cavelady Workouts Everyone Should Do

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Did you ever imagine that you could get a workout done by simply climbing a tree? New studies have emerged showing that participating in primal activates, like wrestling or lifting heavy rocks are proven to get you into real shape.

Outside Magazine has brought attention to these “Caveman Calisthenics” which are being used by top adventure athletes around the world. So get off that elliptical and get out in the dirt! Challenging your body in ways its never been challenged before is a sure way to build muscle and get fit.

Ways to find your primal side on campus:

• Pick a tree, any tree and climb it! Look for good amount of strong thick branches and experiment with ways of getting up. Wear flexible shoes or go barefoot. Don’t be discouraged if your first few tries fail, there are thousands of trees to conquer.

• Mudslide! With all this spring rain the ground is finally soft. Challenge a friend (or enemy) to a mud wrestling competition. Set an object on one side of a slippery lawn and sprint for it. If you both get there at the same time, let the battle begin!
  • Balance! Next time your walking somewhere, don’t stick to the beaten path! Jump from crack to crack on the sidewalk. Choose a stone wall or curb and try to keep your balance. Too easy? Try using your weaker foot. Turn every walk into an adventure; find as many “balance beams” around town as possible.
  • Get vertical! Work out your vertical leap by trying to run and touch every sign you pass. Exit signs in your building are a great start. Attempt street signs for an extra challenge. You’ll be sure to tone your calves and glutes, let alone turn a few heads!

It’s time to let your guard down! These obscure new fitness techinques ensure a good
time and a fulfilling workout!