This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

In the last several years, a movement towards organic and all-natural products has been underway. This can be attributed to new research being devoted to learning the benefits of these products, individuals becoming more aware of what they are consuming, increased health consciousness, a desire to be more ‘green,’ and many more factors. As members of one of the greenest schools out there, it may surprise you that while many catamounts live a life devoted to being green and organic, most fail to make the switch to organic makeup, and this is most likely due to the fact we focus more on what we put in our bodies, rather than what we put on them.

Our society places such an emphasis on us needing to care about what is going into our bodies that we are left unaware of how equally important it is that we pay attention to what products we wear on our own skin. A change needs to be made as the Organic Fair Trade reports that on a daily basis, the average woman applies more than 200 chemicals to her skin and 60% of these chemicals are absorbed into her bloodstream. You may be asking how is it possible that women are applying such a mass amount of potentially harmful chemicals to their skin everyday and the answer is actually both simple and alarming. The FDA, under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, is not authorized to approve the ingredients in cosmetic products unless the ingredients are specifically regulated by the FDA. The ingredients and chemicals most commonly found in non-organic cosmetics are: parabens, synthetic colors and dyes, sulfate, petrochemicals, and synthetic fragrances. I’m sure none of that sounds like anything you want to put on your flawless body.

A ‘certified organic’ product has to undergo a strict evaluation by the USDA, and must be composed of only organic plants, vitamins, minerals, and essential oils. Now what does organic mean? To be organic is to be produced without the use of chemical fertilizers, pesticides, and other artificial chemicals. It also means that the product is 100% cruelty free, meaning is was not tested on animals. What all this fancy jargon comes down to is that by switching to organic products, you’re not only helping yourself, but also the environment and our little furry friends.

If you aren’t familiar with organic cosmetic brands, here’s a list of my must-haves:

1)    Ecco Bella

2)    Pacifica

3)    Gabriel

4)    Mineral Fusion

5)    The Body Shop

6)    Desert Essence

7)    Alba

8)    Origins

9)    Kiss My Face

Now go be green, and be fabulous while doing so!

Chloe Vickers is a Junior studying Public Communication and Animal Science at UVM. She began writting for Your Style Forecast towards the end of Summer 2014 and began writing for UVM's Chapter of Her Campus shortly after.