Style > Beauty

The Beauty Closet: Bronzed Beauty or Lobster?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

You know it’s the week after spring break when every other kid in class looks like they could re-create the face peel scene in American Psycho. Ok, sorry, not the prettiest picture. I spent my break at home in front of the fireplace, pretending the heat was coming from the sun beating down on me, while I lounged on a white sandy beach. So out of bitterness and jealousy, here’s an article about nursing that sunburn you managed to score while having too much fun to care.

The last time I went on vacation, I finally had to come to terms with the fact that my skin prefers burning rather than tanning. My solution? I bought the largest bottle of aloe vera gel on the shelf, hid under a floppy sun hat meant for an old lady, and sat in the shade feeling sorry for myself. Other than these common practices, what else can you do? According to dermatologist Dr. Cynthia Bailey, while you can’t repair the damage a sunburn has already done, you can relieve the discomfort following these steps:

1)   Aspirin– This can help with the inflammation, but must be taken immediately after strong exposure to the sun.

2)   Topical prescription cortisone creams– These need a doctor’s prescription and should be applied within 6 hours of you noticing the redness.

3)   Moisturize– After taking a cool shower or bath (a bath might be better to avoid the water pressure), make sure to apply an unscented moisturizer to keep your skin hydrated. Try Aveeno Daily Moisturizer.

4)   Drink water– Having a sunburn can be very dehydrating, so it’s important to drink at least 8 glasses of 8oz water a day.

5)   See a doctor if necessary– Sunburns can become infected and if you experience any of these symptoms related to the burn you need to see a doctor immediately:

·      Painful blisters form where there is swelling, warmth, and redness

·      The blister contains pus

·      You have a fever or swollen lymph nodes

What not to do:

1)   Expose the sunburnt skin to more sun

2)   Peel it, rub it, or apply any harsh products

Want more information? Check out this helpful site: Dr. Bailey’s Skin Care Blog