Back to the Basics of Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Are you interested in studying abroad? More students than ever are traveling during their undergraduate years. “From 1987–88 to 2007–08, the number of U.S. students studying abroad quadrupled, rising from 62,300 to 262,400 students,” according to the National Center for Educational Statistics.

It has become a signature part of the college experience to travel, being immersed in a new culture and way of life, gaining new perspective, and maybe even becoming fluent in a foreign language. Students at UVM are no exception to this trend. UVM offers a variety of options including FLPA (Faculty-Led Programs Abroad), domestic travel, and semester programs. Some will earn you 3-6 UVM credits in just one to four weeks, while traveling for a semester (14-16 weeks) will earn you the typical 15-18 credits. Each student must decide what type of program works best for them and where he or she’d like to travel. The possibilities are plentiful.

Getting started is super easy! Here are some basics steps you should take if you want to have your own study abroad experience:

1)
Show that you’re interested. Explore the UVM’s study abroad webpage and be sure to fill out the quick registration form.
By filling this out, you are automatically entered into a database and the study abroad listserv. You will then receive information via email about various opportunities to gather more information. Be thinking about where you want to go and check that you are eligible. There are clear eligibility criteria outlined on the webpage.

2) Advising
Meeting with your academic advisor early on to discuss studying abroad is important. Some majors require more of students than others so some planning ahead is necessary if you want to graduate in four years, especially if you desire traveling for an entire semester or year. Attend a “getting started” advising session where you will receive information about the types of programs, transferring credits, and financial aid. Do research on your own and be sure to meet with your regional study abroad advisor.

3) Consider Your Financial Options
Once you have determined what type of program you want to participate in, you will be able to determine if you are eligible for financial aid. UVM institutional aid and federal financial aid may be available to you. Student Financial Services can give you more information on that. Be sure to consider the following:

• Your financial aid may be recalculated depending on the type and cost of the program you participate in.
  • There is a study abroad fee. ($500 for a semester or full year and $250 for summer or winter break programs)
  • There are additional sources of funding including government or non-profit organization scholarships and UVM-approved programs offering scholarships.

4) Applying
Depending on the program, each application process is a little different. However most programs involve: a paper or online application, obtaining a copy of your transcript, academic references, and requesting your Study Abroad Approval Form. There may be some other paperwork involved after these application steps, but then you’ll more or less be waiting to be approved.

The OIE website clearly outlines the step-by-step process to study abroad.

Studying Abroad is an amazing, life-changing experience. So go online and see what UVM has to offer!

Photo Credit: Leslie Megan