Sydney Umeri

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Name: Sydney Umeri

Year: 2nd

Major: Media Studies

Hometown: Acworth, GA

Every week, Her Campus at UVA’s Sydney Umeri posts a campus celebrity article about a student who is very involved around grounds. This week, we take a closer look at the writer herself, who impressively balances a multitude of activities while also playing on the women’s basketball team. 

What are you involved in around grounds?

I am a member of the UVA Women’s Basketball team, Second Year Council and Student Council Athletic Advisory Committee. I am also a HerCampus and WUVA contributor, a Student Athlete Mentor, and I participate in Day In The Life and Athletes In Action.

Why are you involved with these organizations? How do they add to your experience at UVA?

I am involved in these organizations because, in some sense, they all represent who I am and my interests. Recently, I have discovered my passion for journalism and broadcasting and have had many opportunities to explore those interests by getting involved in organizations such as HerCampus and WUVA.

I also have enjoyed working in leadership positions for Second Year Council and Student Athlete Mentors because it allows me to serve my class and fellow athletes. I ultimately got involved in these organizations because I am genuinely passionate about my class and helping other student athletes in any way possible.

I’m involved in Athletes In Action because my faith has played a big part in my life from a young age, and surrounding myself with other Christ followers is very important to me. I love surrounding myself with other people who can help me lead a better life in Christ.

Lastly, I’m involved in Day In The Life because I enjoy helping people in my community. Currently, I tour a young girl and I am helping her learn how to read. Watching her get better every week is so rewarding, and building a relationship with someone who looks up to me is truly a blessing.

What’s your dream job and why?

I would love to work for ESPN or Fox Sports South as a sports broadcaster. If that doesn’t work out, I would like to become a writer for magazines such as Ebony, Darling, or Verily. All of these magazines are founded on missions and principles that alien with my own.

Something people don’t know about you?

I am half Nigerian and half Kenyan, and I am the first generation in my family to be born in America. Also, I have my own blog called Sydney Sundays where I post inspirational content every Sunday morning. (http://sydneysundays.wordpress.com)

Advice you would give your first year self?

As much as you may stress, it’s all going to work out. Even when you think it won’t or that things haven’t worked out, trust me, they have. Everything happens for a reason.

Rapid Fire Questions

Scott Stadium or JPJ? JPJ… duh

Favorite color? Blue, but if we are being specific it’s really magenta.

Favorite movie? Love Jones

Dream vacations spot? Figi

Block party or Foxfield? Foxfield!

Rock, paper or scissors? Paper