Sophie Fields ‘18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Name: Sophie Fields

Major: Studio Art (Printmaking)

Year: Fourth

1. What inspires you?

As an artist I’m really color-oriented so I’m inspired by things I see every day that are out of the ordinary…It sounds crazy, but sometimes the most banal things can be interesting, such as a pile of objects someone left out for the trash that is juxtaposed in a cool way. Looking at the everyday in a new perspective inspires me. I’m also inspired by mural art and graffiti art.

2. Who inspires you?

As for people, I love love love so many artists. Some of my favorites are Margaret Kilgallen, Keith Haring, Maddy Price, and Jenny Holzer.

3. If you could tell your younger self one thing, what would it be?

If I could tell my younger self something, I would probably just tell her to stop worrying so much, and stop caring what other people think.

4. Why are the arts so important to you, and how do you see them impacting the UVA community?

The arts are important to me because it is a way to communicate in a way that words cannot describe. For me, it’s a way to understand the world and see it through different perspectives. Especially in a society such as ours today, with the events that have gone on, it is important to be able to navigate issues through art.

5. How do you navigate the world as an artist? Do you have any advice specifically for students studying or simply interested in the arts?

My advice for students interested in art is to go to the library and research anything you’re interested in!! Our libraries are so incredible and have the ability to influence you so much in whatever you’re interested in. I constantly have so many books surrounding me to go to for inspiration or simply motivation.