Sam Patterson & Elizabeth Schuett

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Recently, UVA Sailing qualified for the National Championship. I interviewed Sam Patterson (’16) and Elizabeth Schuett (’17) to find out more about their involvement with sailing and their feelings on this great achievement. 

How did you get involved with sailing at UVA? 
Sam: I knew when I decided on U.Va. that I was going to get involved with the sailing team, but did not predict that I would be involved to the extent that I am today. My high school sailing coach, Gary Bodie, was the Old Dominion coach when KC Fullmer (our coach here at U.Va.) was sailing there as an undergrad and became an All-American. Gary took me to one of the U.Va. team’s practices to meet KC and the team in my senior year, as well as to sail with them and see what college sailing was all about. Right then, I knew I wanted to sail in college, and sail with that team. I started racing immediately in my first semester, and have been ever since.

Elizabeth: I knew I wanted to sail in college and as soon as I knew I was going to UVA, I contacted the sailing team. They had an amazing season last year and I wanted to be a part of the success.  

What are some of your favorite things about the team? 
S: I love the people on the team. Spending two and a half days a week traveling around the East Coast with the same people leads to getting really close, really fast. Not only do we sail together, we spend lots of time together off the water studying, going out, etc. I also think that we have a pretty diverse mix of personalities on the team, which makes for a good time. We have this running joke from last year with our coach that we are “The Most Interesting Sailing Team in the World”; a characterization of us that certainly is not undeserved.

E: The team is really close. We spend so much time together on car rides and in boats that they’re like my second family. We’re student run so we rely on each other to get to regattas and plan practices. Everything we do is truly a team effort. 

How do you feel about the team’s recent qualification for the National Championship? 
S: It’s incredible. I was part of the team last year when we qualified for Nationals for the first time, and that was just an awesome experience. Doing it the second time was still fantastic, and felt different (in a good way) this year. Last year, qualifying seemed to be a way to prove that we had the talent to be in the mix with the top teams. This year, I felt like it was more about proving that we are a sustainable top team, a team that is able to get fresh talent each year and stay in the mix. Regardless, it is an incredible accomplishment and shows that our team has really been dedicated to success this year. I’m very proud of the team this year.

E: I’m so excited that we qualified for Nationals. We’ve worked really hard this fall and spring to get to this point, and I’m so glad that I am able to be a part of it. Like I was saying, this accomplishment reflects on the hard work and dedication of everyone involved. 

If you could go back and give advice to your first year self, what would it be? 
S: I would tell my first-year self to do more things outside of sailing in my free time. It wasn’t until this year that I started taking advantage of the incredible opportunities that come to U.Va., such as guest lecturers and seminars on topical issues, or events that expose you to other cultures. Charlottesville has so much to offer, and I wish that I had realized that when I got here.

E: Well, I am a first year, but if I had to give advice to myself at the beginning of the semester, I would tell myself to get really really good at doing homework during the week, because it doesn’t happen on the weekends, especially when we’re traveling. 

Do you plan to continue with sailing in the future, post-graduation?
S: Definitely; I’d like to wind up in Annapolis or New York, where there are lots of exciting opportunities for young adults to sail on light, fast, high-tech sportboats at all levels. I plan on entering the shipping industry, so I’ll be around the water and boats at the very least.

E: I absolutely plan on sailing after college. For me, it’s stress relief. It’s a lifelong sport, and there is always something to learn or improve on. 

And, what is your favorite ice cream flavor? 
S: Butter Pecan!

E: This is my kind of question. I’m obsessed with cookie dough ice cream.
Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!