New Semester Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

As hard as it is to come back from Winter Break and get back in a new routine, it is harder to even imagine the upcoming work and the stress that comes with it. With a new semester emerging, I suggest we each come up with a New Semester Resolution to ease the transition. New Year Resolutions typically only last about a month, so why not try only a semester?

My New Semester Resolution is to try not to conform to the overwhelming pessimistic trend of complaining about schoolwork and stress in social media. It seems that everywhere you look, from Facebook to Twitter, and even some Instagram selfies, that as the semesters progress, there is more stress. I personally use social media as a distraction from stress, not to read about school related anxieties. Even I am guilty of Tweeting about being overwhelmed by my workload, in a few days or even hours, I’m completely over it.  

This trend of complaining is taking over social media, and while it may feel good to “vent” or maybe just conform to the stereotypical “super-duper-stressed” college student identity (after all, you are at the University of Virginia), is it worth continuing this trend? I say no, and am going to try to manage my stress in ways other than Tweeting and displaying my stress for others to see.  

Social media sites drastically change as the semester progresses, with posts and pictures from break being lighthearted and festive to pictures of students sleeping at the library or surrounded by energy drinks. I have become part of this problem, and this semester, I will try to avoid it.

There are many other New Semester Resolutions to do, such as exercise or continuing a hobby. You could even challenge yourself to continue your New Year Resolution through the semester, instead of letting it fade away.  If you want, you could even join me in avoiding the trend of exaggerating stress and school in social media. Happy New Semester, everyone!

Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!