Morgan Lataillade ‘17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Morgan Lataillade 

Year: 2nd

Major: Biomedical Engineering with a minor in Studio Art

Hometown: Alexandria, Virginia

In this edition of Campus Celebrity get to know Morgan, a second year and aspiring biomedical engineer! Discover what she is involved in around grounds, the advice that she would give her freshman self, her artistic ability and much more. Read on to learn more!

What are you involved in around grounds?

I am the Publications and Communications chair for the UVA chapter of the National Society of Black Engineers, an organization that encourages the African-American community to excel in the field of engineering both academically and professionally.  I am also a member of Engineering Students Without Borders, where I’m working in a group of four on a project to help improve maternal health in developing countries.  Last but not least, I’m a member of Fashion for a Cause – a CIO that hosts an annual fashion show to raise money for community service initiatives. 

Why are you involved with these organizations? How do they add to your experience at UVA?

Although I love being a biomedical engineer, being in a focused program limits the amount of people I’m able to see and interact with on a daily basis. My involvement in these extracurricular activities really allows me to meet new people and see new faces. My involvement has also helped with my personal development by breaking me out of my comfort zone and showing me my true passions.

What is your favorite thing to do during your free time?

I’m really into arts and crafts! Whether it’s drawing, painting, or creating henna designs on my friends; I’m always finding new ways to express myself artistically. I’m also taking studio art classes (in pursuit of a minor), so this forces me to make time for it.

Advice you would give your first year self?

Don’t be scared to try new things, meet new people, and be yourself! There are experiences and opportunities that you’ll only be able to take advantage of in college, and you don’t want to let these pass you by.

If you were stranded on an island what would you bring?

Sour candy and Netflix

Rapid Fire Questions

Favorite show? American Horror Story and The Office

Celebrity crush? Kid Cudi

Scott Stadium or JPJ? Scott Stadium

Favorite color? Purple

Favorite movie? Mean Girls

Dream vacations spot? Thailand

Favorite place on grounds? The mural room in Brown Library

Runk, Newcomb, or OHill? You can never go wrong with Runk!

Student-athlete at the University of Virginia, that loves journalism!