This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.
Before commencing my first year as a student at the University of Virginia, I had been warned of the seemingly overwhelming preppy culture that existed. That has never been a mold in which I felt that I fit; truthfully, I had never heard of the brands Patagonia and Barbour, and I had seen the infamous Bean Boots once in a catalog, and I really did not care to know about them. As someone who loves fashion, I certainly appreciated the nod to preppy culture and liked observing the way that the majority – not all – of the students approached it here in terms of their clothing. I understood it as not being my scene but what I was not expecting was the continued criticism of the “basics”.

Leggings, oversized shirts, a rotation of boots and Nike sneakers, and the Starbucks drink as an added accessory – there are many ways to characterize the styles of so-called “basics” but they essentially follow the same pattern. As aforementioned, I would not be found sporting these styles because they do not suit my own personal style; in fact, I choose not to place labels on the way that I approach fashion because I find that it can be limiting. While I cannot say that I am entirely shocked by the bashing of the basics – I, for one, would join in on the criticism along with others and I do admit guilt – what I am surprised about is that it has persisted for quite some time.

Part of the criticism surrounding “basics” is that they all look alike and that there is no sense of originality or personality when it comes to their sartorial choices. However, I would say that this criticism can be extended to all distinct fashion groups, be it the “hipsters” or even the individuals that claim not to follow the varying fashion trends that come and go. Furthermore, another criticism stems from the idea of conformity, where people feel that the “basics” rush to follow the clusters of other girls who all wear similar types of clothes and brands – yet everyone is guilty of that. Whether people are consciously doing this or not, this should not be relegated to the way a certain group approaches fashion. To me, part of the beauty of fashion is that it can be truly bring about a sense of community through the garments and accessories and consumers can share ideas and visions about what they are wearing. However, I think another part of the beauty of fashion is the fact that it can be malleable to one’s style and taste – it truly is an artistic form of expression that allows the world to see who you are through how you present yourself.

Let us get rid of the term “basics” and, instead, choose not to put other individuals down for what they choose to wear. Whether it is pearls and a Lilly Pulitzer dress or a crop top and high waisted denim, the most important thing is that girls are comfortable and confident wearing what they want and feel that their clothes showcase who they are. Fashion is fashion – and it has no rules!

Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!