How To Flirt Without Talking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Most­­ of flirting has nothing to do with the quality of conversation or how many times you pretend to think his jokes are funny.  In fact, most flirting depends on your body language and how well you can convey that you’re interested through your movements. Once you have your flirting body language mastered, you can do anything from flirting your way into getting guys to buy you drinks at the bar, to finally talking to that guy you’ve been interested in all semester. Here are a few tips to help you master flirting without talking.

Eyes
Maintaining eye contact is an essential part of flirting, as demonstrated by Tyra Bank’s “smize” (smiling with your eyes). It’s simple, but highly effective, as the eyes are the most expressive part of your body. Rather than looking directly at the target at first, look at him from beneath your lashes to give the flirty effect. To avoid looking like a psychopath giving him a stare-down, look down at the ground, glance up, and make eye contact while keeping your head still. Adding a small smile or grin while doing this adds to the effect. According to The Definitive Guide of Body Language by Alan and Barbara Pease, you will need to lock eyes with the recipient about three times before he catches on.

Mouth
Men unconsciously recognize full lips as a sexual symbol, which is why licking and biting your lips is often seen as very attractive to guys. Therefore, be sure to keep your lips full and never pursed when flirting – you may even want to part your lips slightly to make your lips appear even fuller. Of course the most obvious way to flirt is a simple smile. Very few things are better than a genuine smile, and it’s the easiest way to let your target know that you’re friendly and interested. Just don’t overdo the smiling, or else it may come off as fake and unnatural.

Body
The first step in flirting using body language is to preen, enhancing and advertising your best features. So apply some lip gloss and mascara, throw on a bodycon dress, and accentuate what makes you look good. Once you have your target’s attention, subtly tilt your hips and expose your neck towards him – both anatomical symbols of sexuality. Always have an open stance and lean towards him to create a sense of intimacy between the two of you. If you’re standing, point your feet towards your target, and if you’re sitting, cross your legs towards him. When you finally start a conversation with one another, make physical contact with the person and lightly touch him on his arm. If this is a bit too forward for you, try simply mimicking his movements.

Sara Neel is a second year studying architecture at the University of Virginia. She is a Contributing Writer and a Chapter Advisor for Her Campus. Apart from Her Campus, she is a writer and layout designer for her school's fashion magazine, V Magazine at UVa, and an Ambassador for Stylitics.com. When she's not busy writing or doing work, you can probably find her shopping, reading, playing tennis, or at Starbucks.