nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Holly Martin ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Name: Frances Martin (Holly)

Year: 3rd year undergrad

Major: Architectural History, with minors in Architecture and Preservation

What activities do you participate in at UVA?

I am a member of Club Running, Jubilate choir, Chi-Alpha, the Thomas Jefferson Society for Architectural Historians (TJSAH), and I have two jobs on Grounds. I attend practices, and rehearsals each week, as well as small group with some girls here at UVA. TJSAH allows me to hang out with graduate students in my major and discuss research topics as well as things we enjoy. I drive buses for the University Transit Service and work as an intern in the Historic Preservation Department of UVA Facilities Management.

Why did you choose UVA?

I chose UVA because of its prestigious architecture school and faculty, as well as for its history of educational reformations since Thomas Jefferson started the school. After spending my first two years in architecture as my major, I discovered architectural history and preservation, which has made me even more grateful for my decision – this is one of the most well-documented historic Universities, as well as one of the only UNESCO World Heritage Site in the United States.

What is your favorite aspect about UVA?

My favorite aspect about UVA is its diversity. Even within my own major, each person is interested in an entirely different aspect of architecture and/or history. We all come from extremely different backgrounds, and it greatly influences our ideas and interactions – I have learned so much more from these people, simply due to our different backgrounds and experiences.

What are some of your passions and hobbies?

A few of my passions and hobbies are evident in my extra-curricular activities, such as running, singing, and drawing. A few more are cooking – I was a chef in Italy for 3 months two summers ago – and hiking. I grew up just a few miles away in the Shenandoah Valley, very close to the start of both the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Skyline Drive.

What is your favorite season and why?

Fall is my favorite season: the color changes in the leaves, the weather, and the many opportunities to do the things I love – like hike and run and draw pretty leaves – are the reasons why I love the season so much.

Where are you from?

Waynesboro, Virginia – 30 minutes away from Charlottesville!

What is your dream career?

To be trained as a stonemason, and therefore specialize in historic masonry methods and become a consultant – preferably with some drawing and cooking and singing on the side!

If you could go back in time to any point in history, where would you go and way?

I would probably go back into the 1700 or 1800s, in order to participate in the spread of knowledge and boom of writing and architecture that happened throughout Europe and America.

Who is your favorite celebrity?

I don’t know much about celebrities… but my favorite author is Neil Gaiman (we have the same birthday!) and his books have been made into quite a few movies, including Coraline and Stardust.

If you could meet anyone in history, who would you talk to and why?

Andrea Palladio, from Italy – one of the first architects to write a book about architecture, and from who’s book Jefferson based a lot of his knowledge.

What is your favorite color?

Sunflower/mustard yellow

What is your favorite movie?

The Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter  (I know, cliché)

If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

Scotland – to view the castles, the landscape, and the sheep, and to wear tons of awesome sweaters!

Meg is a student at Haverford College and plays field hockey for the college. She is an interested writer.