Guide to Sexiling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

One of the lovely perks of coming to college is having a roommate, but sometimes sharing a room can get complicated, especially when boys are involved. We’ve all been there (some more than others), receiving the dreaded text message from your roommate after a long night out at 2am telling you not to come back to the room. You quickly text and call anyone that has slightest possibility of being awake, explaining your dire situation and asking if you can stay with them for the night. This inevitably leads to sleeping on a couch in the lounge, the floor of a friend’s room, or any other random location with a hard surface. Here are some tips for handing this unavoidable situation.

Create an out-time
No one wants to come back to the room at 12pm, only to find that their roommate’s guest is still present (and usually fast asleep). Instead, decide on a time for all sexiling situations that the guest has to be gone by. This ensures that the sexilee doesn’t have to impatiently wait for a text message the next morning from the sexiler saying that it’s okay to come back.

Plan ahead
Find a friend or two that you know you can always stay with when you’re being sexiled. That way you won’t have to frantically call your entire contact list trying to find somewhere to sleep at 2am in the morning. Having people you know to call late at night (without them getting annoyed with you) makes the situation a lot easier.

Give warning
If a significant other (or not) is visiting for the weekend, warn your roommate a few days beforehand that you will probably need the room. This will give time for the sexilee to plan other locations to sleep. Even if nothing happens, a last minute text message saying that you can sleep in the room tonight is much better than one saying you can’t.

If the sexiling is more last minute, make sure to text your roommate as soon as you know what’s going to happen. Don’t wait for your roommate to come back to the room, only to find that you have a guest. If your roommate is already at the room, still give warning so that your roommate has time to leave before you get back.

Less is more
In general, be respectful of your roommate and don’t sexile too much. Find other locations or alternate rooms between you and your partner.

Sara Neel is a second year studying architecture at the University of Virginia. She is a Contributing Writer and a Chapter Advisor for Her Campus. Apart from Her Campus, she is a writer and layout designer for her school's fashion magazine, V Magazine at UVa, and an Ambassador for Stylitics.com. When she's not busy writing or doing work, you can probably find her shopping, reading, playing tennis, or at Starbucks.