Eleven Times Millie Bobby Brown Was the Ultimate Style Icon of This Century

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Millie Bobby Brown, the British 13 year old star of Netflix’s “Stranger Things”, has been taking the world by storm since the release of the show. Her silent character Eleven only spoke 246 words in the first season, but it was Millie’s raw acting talent that shot her to the top. Only months after becoming a teenager, she was nominated for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series at the 2017 Emmy’s, and won Best Actor in a Show at the 2017 MTV Movie and TV Awards (and Stranger Things won the first ever Best Show of the Year). Needless to say, Millie Bobby Brown is becoming a household name. Although, the best part about her rise to fame is that she has become the fashion icon that we didn’t know we needed.

1. The Emmy’s, 2016

Emmys.com

In September of 2016, Millie stunted on ‘em at the Emmy’s. She wasn’t there for a nomination, but Millie still killed it with her co-stars Gaten Matarazzo and Caleb McLaughlin on the red carpet. She wore a Red Valentino Bird Motif Dress, Nicholas Kirkwood Polly Prism Pumps, and carried a Custom Jean Clutch by Edie Parker, personalized with “Millie” in rose gold on the red carpet.

2. The Emmy’s, 2017

Millie Bobby Brown | Instagram

Flash one year forward to the 2017 Emmy’s. Millie was one of the youngest nominees ever, nominated for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series. She was seen glowing on the red carpet in tight braids and a custom designed Calvin Klein ballerina inspired gown. Millie is frequently seen in Calvin Klein, especially after posing in the 2017 Calvin Klein by Appointment campaign.

3. The Golden Globes, 2017

Millie Bobby Brown | Instagram

As you can tell, Millie spent most of 2017 rockin’ the red carpet, and the Golden Globes were no exception. The tea length Jenny Packham dress with lace shoulders read Old Hollywood, but the silver sequins covering her dress and Sophia Webster pumps makes her look nothing less than magnetic. Millie has said in interviews that she prefers age-appropriate looks, sticking with minimal makeup and hair styling. Here, her neutral eyes and natural lips pair perfectly with the always classy, slicked back bob.  

4. LAX, May 2017

GotCeleb.com

All this picture makes me think is, “Are you kidding me??????” I have no idea how she looks so perfect while traveling.  I don’t know about y’all, but I wear sweats on top and bottom at the airport, always paired with a cumbersome duffle bag and dry shampoo soaked hair. Millie strolled through LAX wearing her classic Chucks (she’s an ambassador for Converse!), flowy black pants, and a dark denim jacket. Of course she’s flying, because she’s an angel.

5. The Colbert Show, August 2017

DailyMail

Millie returned to The Colbert Show in August in a suit from the CG Spring 2017 collection, paired with Stuart Weitzman “Rugged” booties in patent. Love the suit? That’s too bad, because the CG Spring 2017 collection is invitation only. Unless you’ve somehow snagged one of the golden tickets, we have to leave the short suit business to Millie, and the other fashion moguls of the world.

6. Build Interview, October 2017

milliesbrcwn | Instagram

This is it. This is my favorite look. When I first watched the interview, I spent 40 minutes in my next class searching to find what she was wearing. Sadly, her Rodarte bomber jacket is unavailable, so you won’t find that in my shopping cart anytime soon. I’ll just have to master her hair and makeup, with pink and burgundy themes that are perfect for fall and winter.

7. SiriusXM, November 2017

Millie Bobby Brown | Instagram

Millie posted this picture on her instagram after doing an event with SiriusXM, where she was undoubtedly the best dressed person there. Here, she wears a skirt suit by Giamba (jacket not pictured) with a puffy shouldered turtleneck (hello ‘80’s!!!), and some killer sunglasses. On that note, I’m pretty sure Millie Bobby Brown invented wearing sunglasses, or at least is the best at it.

8. The VMA’s, 2017

Millie Bobby Brown | Instagram

Unlike Lizzie McGuire, Millie isn’t afraid of outfit repeating. Notice the shoes? Same Weitzman boots she wore to Colbert two months after the VMAs. If anything, this just shows how she values versatility, something every fashion icon knows about. She continued to shine in a Rodarte sequined two piece. Her classic slicked bob makes way for her striking eye makeup, showing that kids can rock darker looks too.   

9. Good Morning America, October 2017

sparklymillie | Instagram

Our favorite teenager strut her stuff on Halloween at Good Morning America in New York City, head to toe in Gucci. She owned primary colors in her Silvie Web Stretch Jersey Dress and Satin Studded Pumps without looking like the Fourth of July, or a box of crayons, which is an impressive feat. An even more impressive feat is…her feet. Maybe I’m just terrible at walking in heels, but those shoes look pretty sky high and wobbly to me. Millie, on the other hand, owned it without a problem. (Also can we talk about how good her hair looks?! I’ve been growing out my pixie cut for a year too and somehow, I have a mullet. Those gorgeous waves on her head are anything but a mullet). 

10. L’Officiel Paris, November 2017

Millie Bobby Brown | Instagram

Alright, first of all, how dare she be so beautiful? She looks like a little Natalie Portman in this picture. Millie landed the shoot with L’Officiel Paris through her IMG Models contract. She looks like a timeless beauty in these shots, with the long earrings, curled and tucked hair, and an 80’s inspired menswear jacket. I currently feel like Tom Haverford when he’s looking at that piece of modern art.

11. Universal Studios, October 2017

milliesbrcwn | Instagram

I had to end this post with a bang, and this outfit is certainly a banger. The pink Sies Marjan dress feels very 40’s with the pleated top, wide shoulders, and cinched waist; but her middle part is the most 70’s thing I’ve seen in a long time. Millie owns the Farrah Fawcett waves (Steve Harrington could never!) and pulls the entire outfit together with those tinted sunglasses.

This proves it: Millie Bobby Brown is iconic. She always looks amazing, whether it be on the red carpet or in the airport. Just imagine if 13 year old me had 13 year old Millie to look to for fashion. I probably wouldn’t have been wearing multiple neon tank tops at once and that pair of cropped sweatpants that said “Justice!” down the side.

Want her look? Here are a few pieces similar to what she wore, but for less!

1. Golden Globes Shoes: ASOS HEAD CANDY Embellished Block Heel Sandals
  2. SiriusXM Skirt: Esprit Floral Tapestry Skirt
  3. Build Interview Pants: Gestuz Flower Printed Pants
  4. 2017 VMAs and Colbert Show Boots: ALDO Cirien Leather Studded Lace Up Boots
  5. Colbert Show Octagon Sunglasses: Quay On A Dime Geometric Sunglasses

Hi! I'm Summer! I'm a fourth-year biology major at the University of Virginia, and President/Campus Correspondent for HCUVA. I love HC because it elevates the female voice and provides a platform for my passions in an awesome #girlsquad community! I hope you enjoy my articles as much as I enjoyed writing them. Thanks for checking out my page, and happy reading!