Avocado Fans, Read On

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

I am obsessed with avocados. Some people hate them, some people love them, some people cannot understand how other people do not like them. To each their own.

Imagine a restaurant where every dish comes with avocado, where avocados are the pinnacle of the establishment, where you literally cannot order something without avocados. This place exists. On April 10th, the very first avocado bar–I repeat: avocado bar— opened in Brooklyn, New York. It’s called Avocaderia. A.k.a. Heaven. Every single item on the menu has avocado. Avocado lovers–this is not a drill.

Smoothies, salads, toast, and bowls are healthy and delicious (and all come with avocado if you didn’t get that). One of the best parts? All the avocados are fairly traded from Michoacán in Mexico. Employee rights and the environment are incredibly important to Avocaderia. Also, each delectable green fruit is organic.

Do you have food allergies or restrictions? No problem. Avocaderia is here to serve! Gluten-free and vegan-friendly, this restaurant accommodates all (unless you’re allergic to avocados which is a true tragedy and I mourn your loss).

You really can’t go wrong with avocados in general. They’re so versatile. Here are ten of my favorite ways to use avocados, in no particular order:

1. Guacamole (classic; mash with cilantro and lime juice, serve with blue corn tortilla chips, enjoy)
  2. Cut up into a salad (even as simple as spinach, cucumbers, and avocado–delicious)
  3. Cut up into a quinoa or rice bowl with veggies and beans
  4. Sliced on top of black bean/veggie burgers
  5. In tacos
  6. Eat plain, with a spoon (yes I do this–they’re that good)
  7. Avocado sauce (for pasta/zucchini noodles, veggie dips, salads, etc)
  8. With cucumbers (a perfect, simple, wonderful combination)
  9. With yogurt and/or pumpkin seeds, or similarly with chia seed pudding
  10. Avocado caprese (i.e. avocado and tomatoes–another simple but wonderful combination)

Avocados are perfect. They have a great texture, taste, and color; are full of nutrients like healthy fats, fiber, and potassium; and go with just about anything. New life goal: go to Brooklyn so I can visit a real avocado bar.