Athena “Tena” Bannister ‘15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Name: Athena “Tena” Bannister ‘15

Year: 4th

Major: Sociology

Hometown: Brooklyn, New York

This weeks Campus Celebrity is a Brooklyn native, member of the Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc., and a fourth year. Learn more about Tena Bannister and get advice on how to deal with the struggles of being a UVA student from a fourth year who has been in your shoes before. Read about all this and more in this week’s edition of “Campus Celebrity”.

What are you involved in around grounds?

I am a member of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc., Tau Theta Chapter, an Executive member of the National Pan Hellenic Council here at UVA, and a manager at Newcomb Hall Centers and Services.

What is it like being a member of the Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc.? What has it taught you?

Being a member of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. has impacted me in so many ways it’s hard to narrow it down. Overall it has given me a family, one that is loving, caring, and supportive.  I know this organization has changed me because I see a remarkable difference in my first year self and now. Being the youngest member (at the time) in my organization, I had to mature to the level of the rest of the members in the organization, I started taking responsibility for things that I did, such as completing a task or things of that nature. In a nutshell, I have transformed into a humble, well-rounded woman who is strong and appreciative of all the opportunities that have come my way.

What has been the most exciting thing about your 4th year thus far and what are you looking forward to?

The most exciting thing about fourth year is that it is fourth year! It is the final stretch, three years down and this one is it. In a sense it is my last chance at a whole bunch of things for my undergraduate career. Even though this is the last chapter of my undergrad career, it is also the beginning of a new chapter in my post-graduate life. The real world is about to start soon, and although I am truly nervous and stressed about what is to become of my life after UVA, I keep my faith in God that He will get me though all obstacles.

I try and keep a happy heart and an open mind especially since this is the final run. I want to be able to look back at my time here at UVA and say to myself, “I came; I saw; I conquered and so it begins.” I am looking forward to the memories I will make as well as a chance to start a new journey with what I have learned thus far.

Any advice you would give your first year self?

It will get better, you will encounter hardships, you will feel as if there are times when you just want to give up, you will question your future, but never give up. You will make it far and you are stronger and wiser than you think. Whenever times get hard turn to God, keep the faith and just know that you are loved.

Rapid Fire Questions

Favorite show? Bob’s Burgers, Robot Chicken, Say Yes to the Dress

Celebrity crush? August Alsina & Fabolous

Favorite class you’ve taken at UVA? Violence in Media with Claire Raymond

Hidden talent? Drawing

Favorite movie? Scarface

Favorite place on grounds? McGregor Room

Clemson, Clark, or Alderman library? Clark

Block party or Foxfield? Foxfield

Student-athlete at the University of Virginia, that loves journalism!