Why “Grey’s Anatomy” is Chicken Soup for the Collegiette Soul

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.
Unless you live under a rock, you’ve probably heard of the TV show Grey’s Anatomy. What probably comes to mind when you first hear its name are flashbacks from a prerequisite anatomy class, but don’t let the title scare you away. Grey’s Anatomy is one of the best TV shows for colliegettes; it’s soothing for the soul. Now how could a TV show about blood, guts, surgery, and gore be soothing for the colliegette soul? Allow me to elaborate:

1. Attractive Male Doctors
If you watch Grey’s for NOTHING else, watch it for the attractive male doctors. There’s a reason that Patrick Dempsey’s onscreen nickname is “McDreamy,” and he’s only one of the attractive men. There’s a former army doctor, two plastic surgeons with melt-your-soul blue eyes, and the list goes on. Even better? All of these attractive men are successful and intelligent. What more could a college girl want?

2. The Drive for Success
Within Grey’s Anatomy, the characters push themselves. They take on extra surgeries, extra shifts, research projects, and study time. They prize dedication, work hard and become exhausted, but they can’t and won’t stop. Sound familiar? Bottom line: these characters on Grey’s Anatomy are so relatable in their pursuits for success, and they make you want to work harder for whatever career you’re working towards.

3. The Relationships
What would a good TV show be without relationships? Between managing demanding careers, the characters within the show develop relationships which are heartrenching. The relationships are realistic with their ups and downs and there are no happily ever afters, creating perpetual drama. You can’t help but root for your favorite couple and scream any time they resolve things and have a good makeout…

4. The Friendships 
Within Grey’s Anatomy, most friendships are prized above anything else. Meredith Grey and Christina Yang are so close that they refer to each other as the other’s “person”. They are there for each other when they’re drunk, heartbroken, or lying in a sick bed. They all have quarrels, but at the end of the day they love each other and support each other. One person even (no name will be divulged) postpones her wedding to operate on an emergency surgery for her best friend’s wife. That’s Friendship.

5. They Are Human
Sometimes, in college we feel so much weight on our shoulders and the impetus to be perfect in relationships, grades, and whatever else. Watching world class surgeons mess up in relationships, surgeries, board exams, etc., reminds us that even the best of the best fall down. It’s reassuring, and gives us the motivation to study hard for that Calculus 2210 class, or resolve relationship issues.

Ultimately, Grey’s Anatomy is a very distinctive TV show that provides reassurance, laughs, and tears. If you haven’t seen it, the full series is on Netflix and waiting for you to scrub in!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor