What The Colors You Wear Say About You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

What’s your favorite color? This may seem like an innocent question but colors play a huge part in our lives, especially (and surprisingly) when it comes to clothes.

Now obviously clothes come in all sorts of shapes, styles, and colors but what do the colors you wear say about you? And how do they affect the way others see you?

Let’s get a break down color by color:

Blue: A study showed that generally both men and women’s favorite color is blue. This means wearing blue usually gives off a good vibe to others seeing you wear it because it’s so familiar. Blue is said to represent loyalty, dependability and truth. It can be a very bold AND a very feminine color, so don’t be afraid to experiment!

Yellow: This is said to be a gender-neutral color. Yellow is considered a bubbly or happy color, making others take notice. If you want to make an impression, find that yellow sundress or mustard colored pants and work it. 

Green: This color, just like blue, gives off a sense of familiarity. It’s the color of grass, nature, and people respond well to it. Green is also one of those gender-neutral colors but can also be seen as very classy and bold just like embodying an emerald. And we all know how in that jewel tone is this year!

Purple: If you want to portray royalty or wealth this is definitely the ticket. Throughout history kings and queens were the only ones who could afford purple dye to make such beautiful clothing. Purple is also associated with fantasy and imagination so if you want to show your youth or creativity go purple my people!

Orange: Orange is a color that’s great to wear when exercising. One study shows that people working out in orange performed much better in their physical activities and were more focused than in any other color. This color is also a great color to represent change or transition in your life: think of autumn leaves changing colors or even the change of weather around Thanksgiving. Orange is a great warming color!

Red: Passion, confidence, and boldness- this color is a powerhouse! And don’t just stick to red with fashion! Wearing red lipstick like style icon Taylor Swift represents sensuality and is a real attention grabber. Warning! Be careful not to we wear too much of this color as it may come off as slightly aggressive. And if you’re planning on locking lips, make sure you’ve got a matte version so smudges don’t ruin your uh…activities.

Pink: Pink is technically a shade of red but definitely more on the feminine side. Pink is very calming and is a great color to use to be noticed in a low-key sort of way.

Brown: Just like green, brown is a nature-based color. Brown is totally earthy and said to appeal to men. Brown is a color that is not over powering and grounds (or compliments) other colors. Tip: Try to use brown with other colors like pink, orange, yellow (whatever) to make your look more balanced.

If you liked this article, stay tuned. Part 2 about white and black is coming soon!