Transitioning your wardrobe from summer to fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Just last Saturday we celebrated the first day of fall, and with it, the return of fall fashion. The sweaters gathering dust in the back of your closet are slowly stirring from their season-long hibernation, and those adorable boots of yours are practically screaming for a shoe shine. After months of unbearable heat, the sun is finally setting on summer. It seems that over the weekend a secret message was carried across campus by the chilly autumn breeze, letting every girl know that the gloves are coming on. It’s easy to see our campus is blessed with more than a few style gurus, but for those of you less inclined, here are some tips to help you get started.

One of the easiest ways to make a safe transition from summer to fall is to layer. Layering allows you to bundle up for cold mornings but gives you the freedom to shed clothes in the still-warm afternoons without having to resort to nudity. Be sure to keep a clean, tailored look by balancing the looseness of each article of clothing as well as matching complementary colors and patterns. Philosophy major Brynne does a great job of this in a striped bandage skirt, a loose tan sweater, and a fitted leather jacket paired with ripped black tights and boots.

Another way to avoid a major fall faux-pas is to make use of accessories. Fall is the perfect time to pull out that old scarf and those rusty bangles, and recycle them to make a plain outfit pop. Freshman Carly does the same as she makes use of a bright shirt and patterned scarf to spice up a black jacket.

You don’t always need to resort to bright colors, though. Fall is the perfect time to experiment with a darker color palette. Said creative writing major Laura, “I love the transition to browns. I especially like using brown while wearing wools and tweeds.”

Despite these tips, there’s no need to stash away your summer apparel just yet; many items can easily transition into your fall wardrobe. Economics major Nora loves to pair summer and knit dresses with leggings and boots to help extend their wear.

It’s important to remember that you don’t need to clean out your bank account to fill up your closet, especially with name brand items. A few designer pieces are appropriate if they’ll be getting a lot of use, but you can also find one-of-a-kind items at thrift and consignment stores. In fact, many of the girls pictured above found their most unique, staple pieces at places such as Uptown Cheapskate and Goodwill, proving that an amazing fall wardrobe is possible for any student’s budget.

One of the last and most important trends you MUST rock this fall is confidence. Without it, even the most amazing outfit will fall flat. After putting that outfit together, you deserve to feel good about it!

Now ladies, as good as you look on campus this article wouldn’t be complete without some eye candy. Here’s a reminder of how good guys look on campus in the fall. With these tips, you’ll be rocking campus like you own it!

Jetta is a fun and spunky communication student at the University of Utah. She has a lot of energy and an outgoing personality- perfect for her work in service coordination, peer advising, the Department of Communication, Express, and of course HerCampus! Jetta loves social media, writing, and learning new promotion and advertising skills. She does not currently drive a Jetta, but hopefully she can afford one upon completion of her degree!