Top 10 Paperback Books to Add to Your Collection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Our society has been taken over by the internet and the constant desire to watch Netflix instead of reading physical books. But if you’re like me, you read a ton of books anyways to keep in touch with the past while also learning about the present. If you’re looking for some books to read that are classics while also being life changing novels-look no further! 

1. 1984 By George Orwell 

This dystopian society that is shown in 1984 gives us what Orwell thought would happen to our world. This is by far my favorite book of all time. Each person that reads this novel is able to interpret it in different ways. The way you interpret it tells you about yourself more than the novel itself. Big Brother was born through Orwell’s words and everyone needs to take a moment to read this book.

*The King’s English Bookshop- $9.99

*Amazon.com- $6 (used)

2. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doer

With this remarkable novel about a blind French girl and a German boy you will realize how a story can make you believe the goodness in others is true. You will be lost in the words of Anthony Doer and his details that will make you imagine the scene at your fingertips. It is such a moving novel that it will allow you to see light in a new way.

*Golden Braid Books- prices vary

*Amazon.com- $7.99

3. Beloved by Toni Morrison

This book is one that you would have to read multiple times to understand. No one will ever understand the full meaning of the characters and metaphors until re-reading it at least 3 times. However, the reward of finishing the book is greater than any struggle. You will enjoy this book so much that the matter of finally understanding the plot makes it all worth it.

*The King’s English Bookshop- $16.00

*Amazon.com- $4.50 (used)

4. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

This classic is just great to have in your paperback collection. If you don’t already have it I would recommend getting and reading it right away! Through Jay Gatsby’s eyes we are able to see the lavish lifestyle that everyone strived for. This novel shows how much detail is needed to create an elaborate story for the reader to experience for themselves.

*The King’s English Bookshop- $16.00

*Amazon.com- $9.60

5. A Farewell to Arms by Earnest Hemingway

This book is what transformed Hemingway into a modern American writer. No one can deny that this love affair between an expatriate and a beautiful woman during World War 1 is one of the best of all time. Hemingway’s words will just flow through you as you are unable to put this book down until the final page.

*Genesis Books- Prices Vary

*Amazon.com- $12.85

6. The Stranger by Albert Camus

This is another one of the books that can get a little bit confusing but is worth it. The Stranger shows what it is like to be in the head of an existentialist. Meursault, the main character, goes through rare life events but his way of dealing with them will open up your mind to different ways people can think. It is a short read that will get your gears turning for sure!

*The King’s English Bookshop- $12.95

*Amazon.com- $2.99(used)

7. Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann

There are so many things in this book to try to understand at once. The balance between story lines is what makes this a masterpiece. There is literary irony from the Twin Towers and a fictional story of a prostitute. The courtroom allows the reader to take away from the heavy meaning that comes with the Twin Tower metaphor to create a great combination for a rainy day novel.

*Genesis Books- Prices Vary

*Amazon.com- $11.34

8. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brunt

This novel has been given mixed reviews in the past but is now known as a classic in English Literature. It is controversial to what we know from history but has been proven to be superior during the 19th century after re-evaluation. This book is worth the read to understand writing in the past if you read into the background of the author and how she came about today.

*The King’s English Bookshop- $7.00

*Amazon.com- $6.19

9. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

This novel everyone should read at least once in their life. The author gives a different perspective from what we are used to with guilt and violence in the world. It shows what it is like for those in Afghanistan with the background being full of cruel events occurring constantly.  This Father-Son story holds more to it than most think during their first time reading this book.

*The King’s English Bookshop- $16.00

*Amazon.com- $9.71

10. Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

How many books have you read written by an African American woman? Exactly. This was the first one I read and it was the most rewarding one thus far. I felt as though it gave me a new perspective into how it actually was in the past for newly freed slaves. You get to see through the eyes of the main character, Janie, who has to make her way on her own in order to figure out the words that she was raised on.

*Weller Book Works- Prices Vary

*Amazon.com- $10.11

I hope these novels will help you step away from the laptop for at least a few hours. Take some time and give these books a shot! You never know, you may actually want to add more to your paperback collection after reading a few of these on a rainy day.

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor