Super Soul Conversations: A Podcast for the Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

This morning I walked with a Buddhist monk and discussed the practices of mindful living, last week Maya Angelou spoke to me of God, her mother, and the power of words. I am the student of pastors, musicians, authors, and scientists. This is the wonder of SuperSoul Conversations, a congregation of some of the greatest spiritual and thought leaders, gathering with the brilliant Oprah Winfrey, to discuss matters of the soul. SuperSoul Conversations may seem like wasteful religious jumble to those of you who aren’t religiously inclined, and while it does feature many religious leaders, the show’s central theme is to explore the experiences that define humanity, and connect us to one another. 

SuperSoul is the podcast version of the daytime show Super Soul Sunday created and hosted by Oprah Winfrey, which premiered on the Oprah Winfrey Network in 2011. The podcast is available on Spotify, and full episodes can be watched online through a T.V provider. Designed to awaken its viewers to a deeper connection with the world around them, the show offers the perspective of numerous individuals from all faiths and walks of life, keeping always at its core, the radical humanness, that imbues the show with power. What is it to be human? Why are we here? What are our spirits? Purpose? How do we find happiness? This show asks the questions that we all do, whether subconsciously or with awareness, and searches for answers. 

The result? The overwhelming recognition of our unity. The answers are different, but not that different. The definitions of the spirit, the feelings related to God, the pursuits to meaning, were in many ways, very similar.And the guests were all very different. 

“Two Words That Can Change the World”: Sister Joan Chittister, a prominent Catholic nun and prolific author, discusses candidly her conception of God, in a beautiful and life-changing episode. She makes assertions such as, “humanity is the ability to hurt for the others, because that’s the only fuel that will stop the injustice,”“God comes in many colors and speaks in many tongues,” and science is the newest means to understanding God. Chittister also emphasizes the importance of female involvement in religion and political institutions, stating “nothing is going to change in the world until the situation of women changes.” This episode will widen your understanding of God, and rally your soul to support women, and do something. 

“Daring Greatly”:Dr. Brené Brown, a professor of social work who has done revolutionary research on shame, vulnerability, and courage, has altered the ways I interact with people I’m closest to. Brown discusses her new book Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead. She defines daring greatly as “the courage to be vulnerable. It means to show up and be seen. To ask for what you need. To talk about how you’re feeling. To have the hard conversations.” This episode teaches you ways to deepen your relationships and practice vulnerability, something we can all surely use more of. 

“Best Advice She Ever Received”: Maya Angelou details in two parts her deep relationship with her mother, God, faith, words, and the best advice she has ever received. This podcast is powerful, Angelou is filled with life and passion and wisdom that oozes out of every word she speaks. She speaks with vigor about gratitude and saying thank you for all of life, whether good or bad. She speaks candidly of being a single teen mother. Angelou speaks to truth throughout with commanding quotes such as, “Courage is the most important of all the virtues. Because without courage, you cannot practice any other virtue consistently.” I listen to this podcast at least once a month to humble me, ground me, and remind me of all the wonder and beauty that abounds. 

SuperSoul, whether you listen to it as a podcast or watch it as a show, is a remarkable, spiritually renewing program, that nourishes that deepest part of us that is so often neglected, and forgotten, the soul. Take the time to hear the beliefs of other, develop compassion, and sit with your thoughts to discover what truth speaks to you. 

Photosources: 1, 2, 3

Caroline Anderson is currently a Freshman at the University of Utah double majoring in English and Gender Studies. She is passionate about writing, politics, and female empowerment and felt that Her Campus was a unique convergence of these interests, making it an ideal platform to share her views from. Caroline is a lover of modern art, Europe, chamomille tea, Beyoncé, and her crazy, loud, extended family. She can be best summarized by Shakespeare, "Though she be but little, she is fierce." 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor